A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Was this just a replacement driveshaft that the dealer had in stock? I don't think the new part under the TSB has made it out yet.....if so, you're the first one. Alot of guys have just had the driveshaft replaced and it eventually came back, due to the yoke still being the same.

*Sorry, I accidently started to post within yours, that's why it says I edited your post*

WannaRaptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this just a replacement driveshaft that the dealer had in stock? I don't think the new part under the TSB has made it out yet.....if so, you're the first one. Alot of guys have just had the driveshaft replaced and it eventually came back, due to the yoke still being the same.

*Sorry, I accidently started to post within yours, that's why it says I edited your post*

many people on the other Raptor forums have been getting them replaced the last few days....lots of success stories so far. My dealer has my parts in stock now, but no time to get in until next Sat. for the swap. Looking forward to being clunk free too.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Svc Mgr ordered "it" after he saw the TSB; arrived 2 days later (not something he had in stock). Not sure if it is just the shaft or the yoke too (I think the TSB references a shaft, but maybe it comes with the yoke - I should have asked). Anyway, so far so good. My lube lasted about 500 miles so keeping my fingers crossed.

As to timing, I told my Svc Mgr I could be there at 3 on Friday. He said ok. I showed up at 3 and waited in the service lounge. At 3:45 got my truck back with no clunk.

No worries re edit. I like the idea of having an editor.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score

I hope you're wrong because my dealer ordered my replacement part (per the TSB) and it came in Friday. Having it installed tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
many people on the other Raptor forums have been getting them replaced the last few days....lots of success stories so far. My dealer has my parts in stock now, but no time to get in until next Sat. for the swap. Looking forward to being clunk free too.

Ah ok, sweet, good to know they got them out so fast.

Not sure if it is just the shaft or the yoke too (I think the TSB references a shaft, but maybe it comes with the yoke - I should have asked).

It will be the driveshaft and yoke together as one unit, it'd be a pain in the ass to just replace the yoke, which is what this is all about anyway.

King Cobra

Reaction score
Talked to my home town Ford dealer about the TSB last friday and he told me he didn't have anyone trained to work on Raptors and besides they couldn't get it on their lifts.:wtf:

So I then made an appointment with a Ford dealer that is on my way to work. This appointment was just so they could check it out. We agreed on 2 p.m. yesterday. After I got there the service manager told me it would be at least a 2 hour wait. I told him no way would I wait 2 hours just so they could check it especially when I had an appointment.:mad:

This morning I e-mailed the Ford dealer that did the tranny TSB on my GT500 in 09. They are about 25 miles from my home. The service manager got back to me within an hour and told me he ordered the parts and would let me know as soon as they come in. He told me that normally they would have to check it first but with my discription of the problem and the TSB # etc. he went ahead and ordered it.

This is a good example of the way different dealerships are run. It pays to shop around.

It may also have something to do with the pizzas I bought for everyone when they did the TSB on the GT500.:D

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They weren't aware of the tsb. They said I may have to wait till I get a letter in the mail from Ford. How long do you guys think that will take if it even does? Since this is only for those of us that have the problem I doubt I'll even get anything from ford as it doesnt effect every raptor.

Jeff

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Ford only sends letters for recalls. The dealer needs to look up the TSB when you bring in your vehicle for service to see if there are any bulletins that match your symptoms.

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Ford only sends letters for recalls. The dealer needs to look up the TSB when you bring in your vehicle for service to see if there are any bulletins that match your symptoms.

I basically tried to explain that to the guy but he was being a stubborn ass hat and said there was nothing they can do. Called another dealer and they said to bring it by. There going to just double check there is an issue and will get the part ordered /installed.

Jeff