A few audio upgrade questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike.s

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered a JL TW3 10" sub and an XD700/5 amp for my '13 supercab. I went with that amp so I could start with the sub and be ready to power the main speakers when I want. I have not installed the amp or sub yet.

Couple quick questions

1) Is there a high pass filter for the front mains? When I turn the volume up I hear rattling and distortion like the speakers are trying to play deeper bass than they can handle.

2) Do I need a summing device and cleansweep?

3) Does the Audio Control LC8i do both?

4) If I use the JL cleansweep, do I need to use their volume control knob to avoid the factory EQ?

5) Is there any other way to get a pure signal and still able to use the factory volume control?

Thanks!

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahaha, you guys are funny. been busy today. sorry

first off, you will definitely need a sound processor of some sort. the clean sweep with summing device is the most installer friendly unit, however the audio control will work as well. depending on how knowledgable you are, the mosconi 6to8 is a higher end option to consider. you dont have to use the cleansweep master volume, however using it provides the best sound quality. the clean sweep auto filters frequencies, but if you notice, the higher the main radio volume, the more frequencies are cut out of the oem system. the cleansweep calibrates to the volume level you radio is currently set at. not a necessity, but it is better to use the jl volume knob. also, there are other sound processors other than the ones i listed that will allow you to use the main volume.

regarding your speakers distorting...... is it all oem?

OP
OP
mike.s

mike.s

Reaction score
hahaha, you guys are funny. been busy today. sorry

first off, you will definitely need a sound processor of some sort. the clean sweep with summing device is the most installer friendly unit, however the audio control will work as well. depending on how knowledgable you are, the mosconi 6to8 is a higher end option to consider. you dont have to use the cleansweep master volume, however using it provides the best sound quality. the clean sweep auto filters frequencies, but if you notice, the higher the main radio volume, the more frequencies are cut out of the oem system. the cleansweep calibrates to the volume level you radio is currently set at. not a necessity, but it is better to use the jl volume knob. also, there are other sound processors other than the ones i listed that will allow you to use the main volume.

regarding your speakers distorting...... is it all oem?

Thanks for the info Noah! Yes, everything is oem right now. I noticed if I play bass heavy music, like "Even Deeper" by NIN that I can hear some kind of rattling/distortion noise coming from the front speakers.

Does the Mosconi allow you to use the oem volume knob and always have a pure signal, or is it similar the the JL in that respect?

Is the audio control just a summing device or does it fix factory eq like the JL?

Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the audio control lc8i is just a small piece to the puzzle. you can use it as a stand alone piece, or you can add more processors to it. it works as a summing device as well. the mosconi 6to8 is an intricate piece of hardware. you will need your laptop to connect to make adjustments. you have over one hundered different bands of eq adjustments. all done in real time, so you can hear the differences as you are tuning. it too is a summing device but with the sound processor built in. you can use the original volume knob with either one. the

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

damn buttons....

the mosconi is going to be the most expensive of the units, however it does not require any additional parts unless you want to add them.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike... You can take a look at my thread for some further information as well.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/full-oem-nav-audio-integration-completed-16553/

I'm running the Audio Control with the JL SSI, which I'm happy with, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the JL Clean Sweep. Mosconi makes very nice stuff, but will likely be overkill unless you go with all high end components and a top quality install to justify the performance.

OP
OP
mike.s

mike.s

Reaction score
Mike... You can take a look at my thread for some further information as well.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/full-oem-nav-audio-integration-completed-16553/

I'm running the Audio Control with the JL SSI, which I'm happy with, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the JL Clean Sweep. Mosconi makes very nice stuff, but will likely be overkill unless you go with all high end components and a top quality install to justify the performance.

Thanks for the link! That was an interesting read, especially the part about the subwoofer line distortion. So far I've got my JL XD700/5 and my JL 10TW3 woofer with box. The box doesn't quite fit under the seat, so I may end up going with a custom box. I also picked up some JL C5-570s for the front but I haven't installed those yet. I did hook up the amp and the sub, and it sounds great so far. I'm just using a cheap hi-lo converter to the amp but I'm probably gonna get a JL SSI and cleansweep and hook it up to the main speaker lines.