A/C cooling problems --

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicedrms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 14' has 700 miles on it and the AC won't get below 64. I took it into the dlr and they said the low side was at 20psi and the high was at 135. It is supposed to be at 50 and 185. They serviced it and it worked for a day. Now it's warm again.. Funny because they said they did a black light leak check on it, .... we'll I had my dash cam running and they didn't even check, they just sat in my truck for an hour with the air running talking about women, drinking and going off roading. Guess that's why they charge so much in labor...

OP
OP
S

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny!

I think you might have enough currency in that cam recording to be the first Raptor owner to get some decent A/C!

Maybe just email your service adviser a tantalizing few seconds...

OP
OP
S

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer for the A/C complaint (again). They said it was 8oz low and the condenser was dirty. They cleaned the condenser (which Yukon Joe had suggested) and added the R134 and said it tested fine at 30 low and 210 high.

As for the air blowing out in my truck now-- no difference -- it's the same as always...(sigh).

Nemesis

Reaction score
Well I took my truck to the dealer and they said I had a bad compressor. So while they replaced that which took all day, they gave me a rental car. The car was a Focus.
One thing I immediately noticed is that it seems like the blower fan in the Raptor doesn't have a "high" speed like most other vehicles. The other thing I noticed is that this car had some amazing A/C that was so cold I had to turn it down. I live in Phoenix, and I never get to the point of turning down the air in my Raptor because it never gets cold enough.

When I got the truck back, they said they charged the system with 24oz of R134A, and my pressures were Low Side = 30PSI and High Side = 170PSI at 85F temp. I am lucky if I can get 50F out of the vents after driving the truck for 30 minutes.

So I was interested in knowing if anyone can provide the following info:
How much R134A does our system hold?
What are the pressures supposed to be at? I have seen various posts with remarks of "within spec", but all being different values.
What temp air should I be getting out of the vents?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2011 that was modified a bit and that was the primary reason I traded it. Got tired of sweating halfway home everyday. There is no fix. Mine went back to 2 different dealers 4 times.

OP
OP
S

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe it's only a problem on the 2011's.

I forgot to add to my previous post that the air will get significantly colder if the "inside air" is selected. The button is not labeled but it is located on the right side of the A/C panel.

The problem is that this needs to be selected each time the truck is started-up. I asked the dealer tech if he could rig it to stay on when the A/C is selected but of course he said no...

Anyway, it will buy a few more degrees in the cool zone.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Well I have an update on my A/C issue. I contacted Ford Customer Service and started a trouble ticket. They provided me a case number and sent the case to the service manager at Peoria Ford, my local dealership.

I just talked to the Service Manager there and he requested that I bring my truck back in for service and let them have it for a few days as they research the A/C issue. They are going to coordinate with Ford Engineering to hopefully resolve the problem.

They are giving me a free rental car for the duration that they have my truck.

So for anyone else having the same A/C issues, here is the Customer Service Number: 1-800-392-3673

Call them, open a case, and lets get these A/C issues resolved.

I will report back as I get additional feedback from the dealership.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys wrap it and a be done with it! :ROFLJest:

Write up on how I made my not so great A/C a little better. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Basically insulate your suction line. This will allow the compressor and refrigerant to operate more efficient. I would insulate with armaflex and then wrap it with aluminum tape.

Just giving pressures is almost worthless without other temps. Superheat and subcool tell the real story.

Next is those of you in 'hot climates' crack your windows and sun roof for the first few miles. This will help the heat to escape as hot air rises and cool air falls.

I haven't done this on the Raptor but did it to the F150 and the wife's MKT and it made a noticeable difference.

GT stang

Reaction score
my 2013 also had cooling problems .. but I went to recharge my ac system but I noticed that my high speed fan will turn on after at least 1 min after I turn the ac on .. even if the truck was parked for a long time .. it does not matter , the high speed fan will always turn on even if it didn't reach the normal operating temperature .. I hate the noise it made .. but I like how it cools now .. it cools my truck faster with outside temperature more than 110*

so I left it as it is

im thinking now to try and take one of the AUX upfitter switchs to take control of the high speed fan so it don't annoy me in the winter or when the weather cools down