93 Oct for 3.5l eco boost twin turbo engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These 93 octane threads have made me laugh for 3 years.

I’m still convinced that 9/10 drivers couldn’t tell a diff with 87 or 93. I’ve had my wife fill my truck with either 87 or 93 and then I try to guess what she put in. Have done several times and I get it right 50% of the time!

placebo effect. Google it.

Nothing to Google my friend, there is no "placebo effect". The PCM will adjust various parameters based on fuel octane as determined by the feedback from the knock sensors. The reason you're not noticing a difference is because it takes more than a tank of fuel to fully adapt to the higher octane fuel. This is especially true if you don't meet the driving conditions that the PCM requires to determine that higher octane fuel has been added. The PCM will de-rate for 87 much faster than it will adapt to higher octane.

The efficiency and performance differences between 87 and 93 are well documented and significant; we're talking over a half second loss in 0-60 and 1/4 miles times as well as a 4 MPH loss in 1/4 mile trap speed. That is huge, and very evident from the driver's seat without even looking at the numbers. Fuel economy also increases with higher octane fuel, which offsets some of the cost difference.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

FL4x4

Reaction score

From FordTechOne's Car and Driver link above:

At 128.7 horsepower per liter, the F-150's high-output V-6 engine is more power dense than a Porsche 911 Carrera's twin-turbo flat-six. Naturally then, the Ford hauls ass as effortlessly as it hauls a half-ton of manure. When fed 93 octane, this 5594-pound, self-propelled wheelbarrow will crash 60 mph in 5.3 seconds.

should-you-be-buying-premium-114-1564592021.jpg
MARC URBANOCAR AND DRIVER

Power at the wheels dropped from 380 to 360 horsepower with the change from 93 to 87 octane. That difference seemed to grow, and we could even feel it from the driver's seat at the test track. Compared with premium fuel, regular feed sapped the F-150's urgency both leaving the line and in the meat of the tach sweep. The rush to 60 mph softened to a still-blistering 5.9 seconds, and the quarter-mile stretched from 14.0 to 14.5 seconds, with trap speed falling 4 mph. Tapped into the Ford's CAN bus, we recorded a peak boost pressure roughly 1.9 psi lower during acceleration runs on regular gas, down more than 10 percent compared with the 18.1-psi peak on premium. The high-octane gas also helped when soft-pedaling the accelerator, elevating 75-mph fuel economy from 17.0 to 17.6 mpg. That won't make a financial case for running 93 octane, but then you didn't buy the expensive engine as a rational choice. You can think of this EcoBoost engine's more aggressive high-octane tune as a sort-of sport mode that can be switched on or off with every fill of its 36.0-gallon tank.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to believe there is a difference in performance, and many graphs say there is. However, this elusive and tremendous change to the seat-of-your-pants feel people are selling when going from 87 to 93, meh... probably not! Lastly, I think we can also all agree that we are biased when it comes to the trucks we choose to buy, i.e RAPTOR, so why not the fuel we choose to fill them up with. I would use 93 if I could find it. I am in good ol' CA though... Therefore 3 gal. of E85 in a tank full of 91, does feel different. I dare you to try it... Hah! Take care my friend and enjoy your truck.

I agree!

I have cheap 93 octane nearby ($1.75 at Costco). But use 90 ethanol free instead.

lobsterman

Reaction score
Just make sure it’s Top Tier and branded. It’s all the same from the refinery to the truck. At the truck is where the brand adds their additives and as long as its Top Tier it will meet industry standard to carry that name.

I use Phillips 66 fuel, I may be biased.
I can buy gas on a Indian reservation that is about $0.70/gallon cheaper because they don’t pay taxes I am told. How can I tell if it’s a “Top Tier” fuel? No signs showing a brand. Don’t know for sure but was told it comes from Canada if that means anything. Don’t have my truck yet but plan to keep it for 10 years or more, not planning a tune. Any issue for me if I don’t use Top Tier for almost all my driving? Can’t imagine this would be a problem but would like hear from others. Would like to go this route for the savings.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can buy gas on a Indian reservation that is about $0.70/gallon cheaper because they don’t pay taxes I am told. How can I tell if it’s a “Top Tier” fuel? No signs showing a brand. Don’t know for sure but was told it comes from Canada if that means anything. Don’t have my truck yet but plan to keep it for 10 years or more, not planning a tune. Any issue for me if I don’t use Top Tier for almost all my driving? Can’t imagine this would be a problem but would like hear from others. Would like to go this route for the savings.
Don’t think it’s an issue but if you’re concerned just toss in a bottle of your favorite fuel system cleaner every few thousand miles

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have ran premium fuel in all turbo vehicles. Just burns better and has better performance

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These 93 octane threads have made me laugh for 3 years.

I’m still convinced that 9/10 drivers couldn’t tell a diff with 87 or 93. I’ve had my wife fill my truck with either 87 or 93 and then I try to guess what she put in. Have done several times and I get it right 50% of the time!

placebo effect. Google it.
If you can’t notice a smoother idle, less (no) knocking, & an extra 30whp you should consider driving a non-performance fleet vehicle w/ a base engine b/c the Raptor goes right over your head in terms of appreciation for what it is lol