85 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m out of town. I just got a call from my mother-in-law stating that she just filled up my truck with 85 octane. I have no idea why or how she is driving my truck in the first place haha. My truck was completely empty before she filled it up.

Any foreseeable issues from running a tank of 85?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends how hard she stomps on it. But it’ll survive. Might be a little slow when you get it back. Even after putting real fuel back in it.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife did something like that with 87 octane in another car. I added a bottle of octane boost from Advanced Auto, and we drove it easy for half a tank. Then we filled it up with 93 octane. I'm not really sure if octane boost really works, but it did make me feel a little better about the situation.

We don't have 85 octane here in Tennessee, and I'm surprised what counts as a premium fuel octane wise when I'm out West!

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how hard she stomps on it. But it’ll survive. Might be a little slow when you get it back. Even after putting real fuel back in it.

How do you mean a little slow after I put real fuel in? 91 is the highest we have in Utah.

OP
OP
RaptorUtah

RaptorUtah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some octane additive in it and tell the mother in law to make you a chicken pot pie or something.

If it was my MIL, I would just be grateful that she didn't sideswipe a mailbox or car.

You know I’m on my Ford pass checking the location every five min .

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you mean a little slow after I put real fuel in? 91 is the highest we have in Utah.
it compensates for the lower octane by sensing detonation and lowering boost and timing. Most modern turbo cars do. But it defends much faster than it pushes it. It will slowly push up the timing and boost to full potential if everything is ok. If it senses that something is not ok, it’ll slow it down pretty quick. It’s not like it has an octane sensor.

it will react quicker to protect your engine from the low octane way faster than it will react to increase the performance when you start using the higher octane again. Sorry to be unclear.