70-80mph transmission slipping, hard shifts from drive to reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed my trans slipping at hey speeds today. 70-80mph. When I tried to overtake someone rpm’s @ 3-3.5k truck trying to find a gear for a second then ends up in 8-9. Feels like it won’t hold the power down. Got home, had to do a 3 point turn and it shifts violently into D & R.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Noticed my trans slipping at hey speeds today. 70-80mph. When I tried to overtake someone rpm’s @ 3-3.5k truck trying to find a gear for a second then ends up in 8-9. Feels like it won’t hold the power down. Got home, had to do a 3 point turn and it shifts violently into D & R.
Is it still doing it? Have you checked the fluid level? No cel's when this is happening?

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cels, had it sitting for 48 hours before turning it back on, sitting doing it... im out of warranty (67k miles) just had my whole engine replaced 3k miles ago.. ford covered it. I haven't checked the fluid level yet but im going to do it right after I post this. Super frustrating, this truck has probably spent 5-6 months in total in the shop. I had another gen 2 with no issues ( only up to 25k miles ) but i wouldnt have imagined this many issues with this thing. It's crazy. Probably still the only truck I'd buy lol.

There's no leaks though so i wouldnt think it would be low tranny fluid ?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Nvm I just looked up how to check the tranny fluid, I dont have an angled wrench. To the dealership it goes.

What do you mean by angled wrench? I've checked mine a few times, don't remember what tools were required, but I don't think it was anything crazy. I would double check before you let the dealer get their meat-hooks on your truck. If engine was recently replaced, it very well could be low on fluid I guess. I think it would throw a code for input an output tranny speed though. Dunno.

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by angled wrench? I've checked mine a few times, don't remember what tools were required, but I don't think it was anything crazy. I would double check before you let the dealer get their meat-hooks on your truck. If engine was recently replaced, it very well could be low on fluid I guess. I think it would throw a code for input an output tranny speed though. Dunno.
idk I just looked at a video on YouTube lol didn’t want to mess with anything. It looked like you needed one of those sockets that cab pivot around idk what it’s called. It’s at the dealership now. Thinking of getting rid of the truck. Love the truck but too many issues. Hopefully this was just an anomaly, I had a 17 with no issues. I put a deposit on raptor r, hopefully I can get my hands on it.