Transmission fun - part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Some of you may've read my other thread - '17 SCREW, 10r80 needed a complete rebuild w/ only 72K Miles.

So I get the truck back last Thursday - long story, but the learn-in process once programmed is extensive and my shop guy is going through how he wants me to run it for a couple of weeks and then come back for re-learn on the flappy-paddles. Take it out, around a big loop on the way home to check it out. Still getting a super-hard 1-3 shift ... then a couple of times it flare-shifts in the higher gears ... and at least once while crawling in traffic it shifted from 1-2 and wouldn't engage (freewheeled) until it caught. But after a few miles it's running great. Go to drive it around Saturday and pull out of my drive way (reverse)... put in in Drive and head off, 1-3 shift hits hard (Again) and then I get the same shit I had before the rebuild. Gear indicator (#'s not P/N/D/R) starts bouncing around between 1 and 4 .... all while it's not engaged. I'm on a slight incline - truck is actually rolling backwards while I have light throttle or no throttle. I get the "gear" warning indicator ... truck shifts to 6th and sits there. I can't move. I shift to Park and cycle power... truck comes back up and it's a hard 1-4 shift, and no shift after that. I drive the loop of my neighborhood before it shifts out of 4 and then it's like it was never a problem. I'm gonna upload that video - it's fun!

Back to the Transmission shop Monday AM - they're befuddled. They keep it and can't replicate but the code is in there for shift solenoid problem. He's on the Transmission Builders of America group thread and they can't make heads or tails of it. They've ordered a new TCM and mode selector ... thinking (like I am) the brains of the Trans are shot. Getting in tomorrow and they'll reprogram and hope that works.

But, while they had it - they wanted to be sure I didn't do any damage to the new clutches/steels so they pulled the whole unit apart again. Pics on that to follow here too. Turns out that one of the drums is actually a known failure part ... the internal sleeve walks and can cause issues w/ seals and wear too. So they're getting the updated P/N and will replace that when they put it all back together.

Enjoy the pics/vid that follow.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Possessed. You're calmer than I would of been in that video. "WTF" would of been said lots. At least your tranny guy is looking out for you!

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Possessed. You're calmer than I would of been in that video. "WTF" would of been said lots. At least your tranny guy is looking out for you!
Yeah. Calm because I dealt with that issue for a while before I brought it in to get rebuilt. Annoyed? A little. I like my transmission guys, they tore the whole thing back down to check clutches and make sure I wasn’t already damaged again. They’re in there trying to find a solution.
I’m glad I am a) not driving much right now anyway and b) got my built 2nd Gen CTS-V in the garage for when in need to get out and let off some steam. If my Raptor was my only vehicle I’d have lost my shit way before now.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah. Calm because I dealt with that issue for a while before I brought it in to get rebuilt. Annoyed? A little. I like my transmission guys, they tore the whole thing back down to check clutches and make sure I wasn’t already damaged again. They’re in there trying to find a solution.
I’m glad I am a) not driving much right now anyway and b) got my built 2nd Gen CTS-V in the garage for when in need to get out and let off some steam. If my Raptor was my only vehicle I’d have lost my shit way before now.

You’re at the point where it’s time someone, likely older and less patient, suggests to you that life is too short to deal with this bull$hit. I’d be of the opinion that this truck, no matter how hard you try or how much you spend, cannot be made right and it’s time to part ways. Maybe you find the 1 in 10,000 mechanics who knows what to do to fix it, but likely, you won’t encounter them.

good luck.