Transmission fun - part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
You’re at the point where it’s time someone, likely older and less patient, suggests to you that life is too short to deal with this bull$hit. I’d be of the opinion that this truck, no matter how hard you try or how much you spend, cannot be made right and it’s time to part ways. Maybe you find the 1 in 10,000 mechanics who knows what to do to fix it, but likely, you won’t encounter them.

good luck.

Realistically - if I hadn’t just bought it (last year) and didn’t owe as much as I do... I’d prob cut my losses and move on. But, once we get this sorted - it’s a brand new driveline.

Theoretically, it should run another 150,000 miles after this with only minor issues. But if I can squeeze another year or two out, bridge to the new ones, I’d be in the market to trade up.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hear you, not a bad plan.

Have a backup plan.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing. You bought the truck used, correct? Although the 10R80 uses the same basic principles as all modern automatic transmissions, there are some unique hardware and programming characteristics that are critical to proper operation. If your shop isn't following the Ford Workshop Manual and using IDS for calibration, that may explain why you are having repeat issues.

scary gary

Reaction score
I just went threw hell with my transmission due to the dealership recommended a flush. The transmission didn’t make it 500 miles. The dealership had to eat the cost and replaced with a brand new one. I’ve learned to research now even if they recommend it. Yeah I got a new transmission but I lost many hours of work and gained a headache.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Hate hearing about your troubles because I know some of what your feeling as I'm waiting for a brand new transmission at only 26,*** miles on it.

I swear I've never done donuts , or burnouts and my 4x4 wheeling has been in Mark Twain Forest that all and all I was told was the internals just came apart, like WTH?

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing. You bought the truck used, correct? Although the 10R80 uses the same basic principles as all modern automatic transmissions, there are some unique hardware and programming characteristics that are critical to proper operation. If your shop isn't following the Ford Workshop Manual and using IDS for calibration, that may explain why you are having repeat issues.

This issue was the main reason I finally brought it in for repair - so the rebuild was needed (likely owing to the root cause of this ... TCM (maybe) being bad). The shop rebuilt the guts of the 10r80 ... thought that was the problem. Turns out there's likely some kind of control issue, which is where we're at now. They're using manual, they've got a guy they bring in that's certified to program the unit.

Only positive out of this was the shop used some connections to pull a full report on my VIN showing all work done at Ford by the 1st owner. I had the cam phaser issue, which was fixed ... didn't wind up mattering because I just replaced the motor Sep of last year (owing to premature bearing failure). Other than that, some simple stuff like the Raptor badge coming off the tailgate. So none of this popped up in the 1st owner's 60+ miles.

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Small update - got the truck back (Again) yesterday. My shop thinks they've solved for the "why" ... wasn't the TCM. One of the 2 "barrels" in the trans has an "issue" that's not being discussed. There's a press-fit sleeve w/ fluid passages that rides on the main shaft and holds frictions/steels. The sleeve is walking during use, thought here is that the movement is causing fluid to leak by and confusing the TCM / speed sensors. Truck is in 3rd gear - but 4/5 are getting spun up d/t pressure bleeding past. One of the ring seals in there was deformed after only about 6 miles (rounded off one side instead of keeping the original square shape), which kind of shows how it was moving up/down.

There is no new part, during the original tear-down/rebuild the shop kept my barrels (not wear items typically) and replaced the valve body/frictions/steels/gaskets, etc. So this time out, they got a new part. But, that means that there's a chance this happens again later on. Apparently the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders of America (or something like that) is going to be doing an article on my 10r80 as this might be the first real diagnosis of the issue. On their message boards other techs (including a couple of Ford Dealer techs) have highlighted about 5 other trucks where they think they have a similar issue.

I've only driven it a few miles since picking it up last night, so the jury is still out on if that's the culprit... but in those miles it feels just about "normal." I'll update anyone still reading this as I get more mileage in and post an image of the offending drum.

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
So the yellow arrow is pointing at the press-fit sleeve. You can kind of make out the wear pattern where the gaskets rode. Note how a few are much wider ... indicating the movement they think we’re seeing.
upload_2021-2-24_9-42-23.jpeg

codeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting and cool thread, thanks for sharing. New engine, and twice rebuilt transmission. Wow

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
Interesting and cool thread, thanks for sharing. New engine, and twice rebuilt transmission. Wow

Technically only "rebuilt" once ... disassembled twice. I got the full VIN history from this shop too ... early build (first service was done Feb/17). I don't know if that's part/parcel to these issues, but it was an early-bird (remember reading about some issues w/ the early '17's). This truck also had the cam phaser issue, fixed under warranty. But that doesn't really matter to me anymore since I've got a new, factory motor now.