17 transmission slipping after up to temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
When I asked my Dealer, a large Ford Dealership, how they change the transmission fluid they replied we flush it right through the cooler lines because that's the best way.

I laughed and told him of potential issues doing it this way.

He stated that's how I do it on my own truck and we've never had any issues.

My question is why in the hell do these so called professionals screw up a simple procedure, I know, because of expediency but it's still ridiculous to ruin customer's vehicle because of their arrogance & stupidity.

Ford should have the oversight and authority to stop Dealers from doing improper procedures as it would benefit Ford, the Dealership and customer.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here. My service dealer, who I really like, wanted to service it this summer when I was in for my cam phasers. I asked drain and fill? No we flush it. They failed my quiz. I said no thanks. I knew better. It’s hydraulic fluid with lubricants, if it ain’t burnt, it ain’t bad.

rightway

Reaction score
I wonder how you over fill a transmission if you first bring it up to the specified operating temperature, shift it through all the gear positions, hopefully leaving it in Park. Then on the transmission (vehicle passenger side), un-screw that little filler cap, remove the mini plastic dipstick and check the level. All with the motor running and again transmission fully up to temperature.

It took my 3.5 EB & 10 speed transmission several miles before its transmission came up to the recommended stable temperature on a hot summer day. I could see the transmission temp vary up and down as its thermostat cycled during the warm up and it finally stabilized at the required temperature. I was pleasantly supersized the factory's fill was right on the mark. :)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My question is why in the hell do these so called professionals screw up a simple procedure, I know, because of expediency but it's still ridiculous to ruin customer's vehicle because of their arrogance & stupidity.

The answer is that flushes are highly profitable for the service department and service advisor. The flush equipment is typically provided for free by companies like BG, who then make the money back through the sale of the flush chemicals.

Ford should have the oversight and authority to stop Dealers from doing improper procedures as it would benefit Ford, the Dealership and customer.

We all wish. The problem is dealerships are “Independently owned and operated”, and they have powerful lobbyist groups. They care about what it profitable for them, not necessarily what is best for the customer or the OEM. The OEM typically can only control warranty related issues, either by chargebacks or audits, both of which are reactive instead of proactive. This is the same reason dealers get away with installing aftermarket lift kits and alarm systems in brand new vehicles; once the vehicle in in their possession, the manufacturer has little control.

OP
OP
scary gary

scary gary

Reaction score
When I asked my Dealer, a large Ford Dealership, how they change the transmission fluid they replied we flush it right through the cooler lines because that's the best way.

I laughed and told him of potential issues doing it this way.

He stated that's how I do it on my own truck and we've never had any issues.

Unfortunately I was unaware of this. Dealership recommended it to me as of higher mileage. They did oil, trans, diffs. I was unaware and even have an email asking if it is recommended.