7-Way Trailer Connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillVickers

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've done a search but could not find an answer so I'll ask.

Does the 12-volt connection in the 7-way trailer connector provide 12 volts constant? I have a couple of bait coolers I need to connect and I'll need them to run overnight.

Thanks in advance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A lot of us have been punked by the 2017 and up trailer connector. It’s supposed to use a load sensing system, and you have to be ign. On, all doors closed and I’m sure I’m missing a few

CR Gittere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to do the following to get 12V power
1) Plug in a trailer with lights with the truck running
2) Get back in the truck and put it in drive
3) Leave the key on the front seat
4) Close the driver door and you will get 12V power
5) If you open the driver door you lose 12V Power the door must be closed with key inside

The short answer to do what you want is test the 4 prong plug and built an adapter, i THINK the 4 prong has some constant hot that you don't need to do all the fancy crap for. If I were you I would run a hot wire off one of the up fitter switches to back there, or pull the plug on the bumper and hot wire the 12V it's the wire in the 1' Oclock position

DarthKickA55

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to do the following to get 12V power
1) Plug in a trailer with lights with the truck running
2) Get back in the truck and put it in drive
3) Leave the key on the front seat
4) Close the driver door and you will get 12V power
5) If you open the driver door you lose 12V Power the door must be closed with key inside

The short answer to do what you want is test the 4 prong plug and built an adapter, i THINK the 4 prong has some constant hot that you don't need to do all the fancy crap for. If I were you I would run a hot wire off one of the up fitter switches to back there, or pull the plug on the bumper and hot wire the 12V it's the wire in the 1' Oclock position

Here is a pic if it helps...

Camper side 7 way.jpg