6R80 sudden transmission downshift powertrain control module programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just discussed this recall with my local dealer and they said that if my truck hasn’t experienced any issues that I should consider NOT doing the reprogramming as it could “cause transmission problems”.

What is the consensus? I was very surprised with the dealers response.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2013 and I received the reprogram notice. It doesn't qualify for the new leadframe. I had heard of these "stories" of issues after the reflash. I'm also curious of others experience.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 2013 and I received the reprogram notice. It doesn't qualify for the new leadframe. I had heard of these "stories" of issues after the reflash. I'm also curious of others experience.
The "new leadframe" is a unicorn. There's plenty of "remanufactured" 6r80 leadframes out there, but finding the redesigned new ones and not waiting months for it is like finding an honest politician in DC.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 19S07 done 3/21/19 at 164,305 and 19S19 done on 7/13/19 at 166,160. I bought the truck in '17 with 152k, never had transmission issues before or after the recalls, serviced the transmission myself (just pan drop & filter) at 155k along with a Saudi cooler and PA dipstick, just serviced again at 200k. Knocking on wood but the 6R80 has been perfect thus far...

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m one of the guys who am too worried a fix will make it worse
I do recall reading all lead frames will eventually fail no matter what
2013 115k haven’t touched the fluid

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just discussed this recall with my local dealer and they said that if my truck hasn’t experienced any issues that I should consider NOT doing the reprogramming as it could “cause transmission problems”.

What is the consensus? I was very surprised with the dealers response.
The reprogramming should not cause any problems, the original programming only checks one sensor, if that sensor fails the computer will command the transmission to shift into first gear no matter how fast you are going.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well everything is going to eventually fail but I'll be happy with 300k miles, pretty confident mine will make it. From my understanding the main problem with the lead frame was the speed sensor integral to the frame itself can (potentially) send a (faulty) signal to the PCM that vehicle speed is zero and the PCM will kick the transmission down to first gear, not so bueno when you're passing on the freeway doing 90. But from what I've read on the two recalls I had done, which only involved PCM programming updates, prevented this from happening even in the event the sensor sends tells the PCM "we're all stop, cap'n". Hopefully that's the case...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc