Buy or Avoid? 2nd Gen with #21B10 and #21N08 and transmission repair but Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. If they are giving you an extended warranty, there's nothing to worry about and the fact that it's a Ford dealer is a bonus. They can print out any warranty repairs the truck has had performed since new, so ask. Good luck and let us know if you get this one or another.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @smurfslayer. With Nissan GTRs, owners liked to test their 0-60 times a little too often. Then, would trade the cars in when the $20,000 transmission started acting up. I'm hoping that's not what happened to this Raptor.

I always find this sentiment funny, and it's true I know. Chrysler at one point was documenting GPS info and denying warranty claims if the vehicle was anywhere near a track. The Ford Raptor owners manual's tell you how to abuse it properly, high speed, hard landings are advocated for. :biggrin:

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
I always find this sentiment funny, and it's true I know. Chrysler at one point was documenting GPS info and denying warranty claims if the vehicle was anywhere near a track. The Ford Raptor owners manual's tell you how to abuse it properly, high speed, hard landings are advocated for. :biggrin:
Jeep did too. Just look at the marketing. But that doesn’t stop them from denying warranty claims for mods or off road abuse. It seemed largely dependent on your relationship with the dealer. Guys who gave their dealership a bad review on those satisfaction surveys found their warranty voided.

The GTR had some silly 6min cool down time between launch control uses. Folks were burning up their transmissions. Makes you wonder why Nissan didn’t just build them with larger trans coolers.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Follow all that was mentioned here and you should be good. My FordPass app is full of recall notices too and they don’t apply to me. Did have the pcm reprogram done and it was transparent and haven’t noticed any issues before or after.

If the roof works then your good. Just follow the lubrication maintenance for it and it won’t make noises or break. Just hit vent first to open it. It’s a good idea if it wasn’t used in some time.

Good luck and post some pics up if you get it.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
I finally got to the bottom of what was going on. The service manager was really forthright. Kind of odd.

Anyway, it had a leak from the plastic transmission pan. It was downshifting hard. So they replaced and resealed the transmission pan and did a full transmission overhaul under warranty. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I'm going to go test drive it and hopefully pick it up tomorrow morning.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I finally got to the bottom of what was going on. The service manager was really forthright. Kind of odd.

Anyway, it had a leak from the plastic transmission pan. It was downshifting hard. So they replaced and resealed the transmission pan and did a full transmission overhaul under warranty. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I'm going to go test drive it and hopefully pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pictures tomorrow, or you’re getting a provisional prius pic ! :happy160:

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Bought it! It seems very clean. It had all the options and accessories I wanted without graphics packages. More of a sleeper Raptor. There was one kind of hard downshift on the test drive but it hasn't happened since. I read somewhere that the transmission has to kind of recalibrate itself after being worked on. So hopefully that's all it was. It's already getting better gas mileage than any of my past Jeeps or Land Cruisers. And it's a hell of a lot bigger and faster, and way more comfortable than the Jeep.

I checked for everything the fine folks here called out:
Sunroof worked without any popping sounds.
No leaks on oil pan since it was just replaced.
The engine didn't tick when cold. It does seem to tick some when idling and warmed up. Not sure if that's a concern.

There are a few things I have to search the forums to figure out:
-All the Rigid fog-lights were unplugged, probably to remove the skids to get to the trans. Is there a way to tie some of them to the stock foglight wiring? They seem to all be tied to the Aux switches right now.
-The truck doesn't seem to make any audio alerts for blindspot, parking sensors, etc. I'm assuming someone turned them off. Anyone know how to turn those back on?
-The auto windshield wipers are kind of odd. Can't seem to figure out how those work.

Anyway, we're excited.

signal-2021-10-12-173454-002.jpg
signal-2021-10-12-173454-001.jpg
www what is my screen resolution com

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Congratulations! start saving now for the ~$2100 in personal property tax ;-0 (yes FRF brethren, that is how much Raptor ownership costs in the former colony that’s been stealing (y)our freedom since 1607)

#OneLessprius

I read somewhere that the transmission has to kind of recalibrate itself after being worked on. So hopefully that's all it was
You should clarify if the dealer performed the transmission relearn procedure or not. If not, you will need to do it yourself; it’s been posted on here a few times.
No leaks on oil pan since it was just replaced.
Monitor. It’s not the parts that are defective, it’s the install procedure not being followed correctly that results in the leak.
Is there a way to tie some of them to the stock foglight wiring? They seem to all be tied to the Aux switches right now.
This is not the @FordTechOne preferred method. He’s pointed out in some other threads that doing so could cause a fault with the connected module - I think it’s the BCM, but regardless, the faults could eventually ‘brick’ the module, which would be a costly replacement. Some enterprising folks have put their relays on a meter to determine draw before trying this and shown very little draw from the relay and gone forward. I’d only consider this convenience option for SAE lights, connected properly to a relay with a known low current draw, and well and properly connected. I just left the SAE on up fitter 4. Of course, in VA, that’s frowned upon at state inspections ( stealing freedom since 1607 guys, they have thought of all the angles ). Just get covers for the lights. I’d cover mine for the inspection, take the covers off and never once had an issue.
-The truck doesn't seem to make any audio alerts for blindspot, parking sensors, etc. I'm assuming someone turned them off. Anyone know how to turn those back on?
these are enabled/disabled through the driver’s display menu; left side of the steering wheel controls. if you don’t have the manual pdf and Raptor supplement, you can get from owner.ford.com
The auto windshield wipers are kind of odd. Can't seem to figure out how those work
I think they’re also in the driver’s menu. on the wiper stalk, it’s full off, then auto, then the 'dumb delay' interval settings in that order.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Somehow VA laws are even worse than CA. Luckily, this is a company truck that'll live in Montana. It sounds like there are a lot of oil issues we'll need to keep an eye on.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Somehow VA laws are even worse than CA. Luckily, this is a company truck that'll live in Montana. It sounds like there are a lot of oil issues we'll need to keep an eye on.
Just check the oil level periodically, which is of course a good practice on any vehicle. Always check it after a cold soak for best accuracy. The oil pan should be fine once it’s resealed; if they didn’t follow the procedure properly it would probably be leaking by now.