Buy or Avoid? 2nd Gen with #21B10 and #21N08 and transmission repair but Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats and alot of good info was supplied by @smurfslayer and our resident SME @FordTechOne

There are people that do not like driver aids and turn them off. As described you should be able to re enable them from the dash. Also note you have one large flat button on the center console that disables the lane keep and I forget possibly another driving aid. It does reset after turning off the truck. But many have been burnt by accidentally hitting this button.

Enjoy the truck.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also note you have one large flat button on the center console that disables the lane keep and I forget possibly another driving aid. It does reset after turning off the truck.
Mine does not reset. It stays off. Thank God.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Mine does not reset. It stays off. Thank God.

Yeah that lane keep assist is aggressive. I usually leave it off.

Mine finally got its full set of new BFG KO2s from the dealer. That helped with the tire noise and some of the vibration. I'm still getting vibration at low and high speeds and some in the steering wheel. And the front driver side makes a high pitched rattle/squeal over low speed bumps, and a bad grinding sound when accelerating at low speed, especially while turning like pulling out of a parking lot. It seems like it's probably this infamous IWE I just learned about. I'm guessing that the vibration might also be the front hubs. If I just go ahead and replace all of these myself, will that void my warranty? I'd rather just do the work so I know it's been done correctly and can check everything else underneath the truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you do have an IWE issue and it’s not too far gone, you can invalidate the concern by engaging 4a. If the rattle / noise goes away, there’s definitely something amiss in the IWE system. it’s vacuum operated and the common point of failure is the check valve, under $10 part.

The vibration sounds like more of a challenge. It sounds like you might have a wheel issue. I had an Explorer that exhibited similar behavior and it turned out to be a bent wheel. The steering wheel would shake like a demon if that wheel was up front, but the vibration was much, much, much less noticeable if it was rear mounted. I say this because its sounds like this vibration has survived a tire change, mount and balance, and the new tires may be masking the problem. My old explorer had the vibration as you described, low and high speed.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
I've been driving around in 4A to see if the grind goes away. I haven't heard it in 4A. So I'm thinking it is the IWE. Got a new one and a spare on the way.

Could the vibration also be damage to the hub? The new tires helped but it's still there. Your rear wheel idea seems plausible. But I don't think I'd feel it in the steering wheel if it was a bent rear wheel. Maybe I can try throwing the spare on and see how that does. Also noticed the front tire pressure is too high. That would be the simplest. Front seems to be at 42 and rear is at 37. Gonna put them all to 38 and see if that helps.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Got a new one and a spare on the way.

hopefully it’s the simple, easy to replace check valve. BTW, 4a is fine for day to day if you need to. Based on you not hearing the issue in 4a, I’d leave it engaged until you’ve gotten the issue resolved. I am no IWE expert but I recall seeing that if you don’t fix it quickly enough it can get more serious.

Could the vibration also be damage to the hub?
I think so. I’m no suspension expert, but I’ve had too chase a bunch of front suspension issues in vehicles over the years. A beater Cavalier I never figured out, 2x Mustangs which were LCA bushings trashed, the aforementioned Exploder. I never came to a replacement on Mustang #2, and fortunately it wasn’t severe but I was really mad to have that issue again and it wasn’t very high mileage either. The Exploder i just kept the bent wheel on the rear of the truck until I got rid of it.

The new tires helped but it's still there. Your rear wheel idea seems plausible. But I don't think I'd feel it in the steering wheel if it was a bent rear wheel. Maybe I can try throwing the spare on and see how that does
So that inclines me to believe it wasn’t tires or tire balance, and unfortunately every place you go to is going to insist on a rebalance attempt so this can be really frustrating if they don’t fix it the first time out. If it’s a wheel, then likely it’s a front wheel.

front tire pressure is too high
Yeah, 42 is way high, and you’re definitely amplifying any road imperfection, as well as wearing the middle of the tires faster.
Even at 38/38, the middle is going to probably wear faster; many of us have had that happen.
I think Raptor Assault is currently recommending 34/32 for mix of street and off roading, for typical daily driving i run about 35-36 front, 33-34 rear, unloaded.

I’d drop the front PSI to 38 cold and retest, see what your results are. Be sure you’re just not feeling road imperfections. Don’t drop the PSI to mask a vibration.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Yup. I just read how the IWE actuator, wheel hub and axle shaft splines could be damaged if it'd been grinding like this for awhile. So I tried to schedule a service appointment. Ford dealers are booked a month out. Insanity.

2018raptorKC

Reaction score
The open recalls are unrelated to the transmission. Both will appear on the carfax of every affected VIN, which includes 2017 to early 2020 models. The recall does not mean there is anything wrong with the vehicle, it’s a software update to prevent a phaser rattle noise from developing. Only 21B10 has to be completed, 21N08 is extended coverage.
Looking at a 2018 Raptor that had Program 21NO3 cam phaser done on 7/29/2021. Only thing I'm worried about with this model truck is the horror stories I've heard about cam phaser and program issues. Is this nothing to worry about considering the 21NO3?

Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at a 2018 Raptor that had Program 21NO3 cam phaser done on 7/29/2021. Only thing I'm worried about with this model truck is the horror stories I've heard about cam phaser and program issues. Is this nothing to worry about considering the 21NO3?

Thanks
That just means the cam phasers were replaced under the extended warranty. The new software (21B10) is required prior to 21N03, so that truck has both the updated parts and calibration installed.