Buy or Avoid? 2nd Gen with #21B10 and #21N08 and transmission repair but Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello Raptor world. Hopefully, I'll be switching over from 11+ years of Land Cruiser and Jeep ownership.

I went to go buy a very clean looking, one owner, no accidents, low mileage 2018 with the 802A package this weekend. But I was told that I couldn't drive or purchase it because the dealership needed to complete a service on it today. Turns out that service is something to do with the transmission and won't be ready until Wednesday. I'm trying to get more information about this repair. This seems like a red flag when combined with the recent "Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER" and "Program #21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE" repairs that show up on the carfax.

After doing some research on here and comparing it to other used Gen 2s, t seems like every other Raptor and Ford 10R80 has these issues. Should I avoid this truck? Or, is this actually a safer bet in the long run because it's a certified pre-owned with the extended warranty from a local dealership?

The other option is to walk away and find one without these issues, but that'll probably not be CPO and be from a far away dealership.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The open recalls are unrelated to the transmission. Both will appear on the carfax of every affected VIN, which includes 2017 to early 2020 models. The recall does not mean there is anything wrong with the vehicle, it’s a software update to prevent a phaser rattle noise from developing. Only 21B10 has to be completed, 21N08 is extended coverage.

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Gotcha. So I should probably find out what this transmission repair is. I've seen some mention of a shifter cable clip that breaks or something.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly? I’d look much closer at a CPO truck than the remaining 2nd hand market. That said, I’d still check
1) Oil pan I believe 2018 was the year we switched from plastic to metal. check for seepage or leaking if plastic. Very few had the problem, but when there was a problem, some service departments were apparently challenged to implement this repair successfully on plastic pans.
2) open the moonroof to the vent position, listen for a tell tale pop sound as the glass breaks free of the seal. if you hear a pop sound, the moon roof probably needs lubricating. I would go no further and ask that they lube the seals, then retest / continue
open the moon roof to the rear and then close. if it works, you’re good, if it doesn’t close, bounces back or won’t move at all, you may have a broken track mechanism, again ask to have service investigate.
3) Do a cold start of the truck after it’s sat at least overnight. This is when the cam phaser rattle manifests if there’s a problem. if the dealer starts it and moves it to make it easier for you to inspect, this masks the problem.

These are 3 frequently complained about issues here on FRF, and it’s blown out of proportion a bit sometimes. I myself am partial to the moonroof issue; I’ve busted a track already; lesson learned. You just need to lube the seals periodically to prevent the problem.

And of course check the other used car stuff. Get a thorough test drive, not just 10 minutes behind the wheel.
If you like the truck, the truck likes you, the price is right and there are no serious red flags then go forth and make the world a better place by giving this Raptor a good home.

#HopefullyOneLessprius

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Thanks @smurfslayer. The moon roof was going to be the next thing I checked. I'm coming from a Jeep Rubicon. So opening that sunroof is a top priority.

I'm going to call the service dept in the morning and see if I can bypass the salesman and find out what they're doing to the transmission. With Nissan GTRs, owners liked to test their 0-60 times a little too often. Then, would trade the cars in when the $20,000 transmission started acting up. I'm hoping that's not what happened to this Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. So I should probably find out what this transmission repair is. I've seen some mention of a shifter cable clip that breaks or something.
FSA/Recall 18S10 was issued for 2018 models. The dealer just needs to verify that the shifter selector cable is properly secured. With the service departments as busy as they are, they may not be able to get to it right away.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks @smurfslayer. The moon roof was going to be the next thing I checked. I'm coming from a Jeep Rubicon. So opening that sunroof is a top priority.

I'm going to call the service dept in the morning and see if I can bypass the salesman and find out what they're doing to the transmission. With Nissan GTRs, owners liked to test their 0-60 times a little too often. Then, would trade the cars in when the $20,000 transmission started acting up. I'm hoping that's not what happened to this Raptor.

The 10R80 is plenty strong enough for the Raptor; anyone who has been to Raptor Assault will come away with an appreciation for the truck. Like I said, it’s CPO, comes with an added warranty and it sounds like they’re taking care of everything for you.
Good luck

OP
OP
KlausVanWinkle
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I’m going to try to use it as a point of negotiation. Reliability is important to me. But unlike my previous trucks, this ones not going to be an overlander or rock crawler that needs to not leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I’m a little more willing to whip out the AAA card for the extra fun factor and luxury of a Raptor.