6.2L spark plug change - tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate it when things disappear. Absolutely HATE it.
been to a gas station recently? my money disappears. actually i had the same thing happen to me when i was trying to grease my toolbox slides. couldnt fine the effin tune of grease. i ended up using motor oil. guess we will see how long that lasts. but 2 days later after i spent all that time lubing up my drawer slides, i found it. typical

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
been to a gas station recently? my money disappears. actually i had the same thing happen to me when i was trying to grease my toolbox slides. couldnt fine the effin tune of grease. i ended up using motor oil. guess we will see how long that lasts. but 2 days later after i spent all that time lubing up my drawer slides, i found it. typical
Why, yes I have! And it's heartbreaking. I don't know how some folks less fortunate than myself can afford to fill their tanks. There are politicians (not mentioning any names because they're swear words in some quarters) who are saying this gas price crisis is just a feature of the transition to electric cars. I sincerely and vigorously doubt it. We may see more electric scooters in the near future, but people who are financially stressed at the gas station are profoundly unlikely to be Tesla customers. That's just stupid and I could unspool a convincing sermon on the matter, but this thread is about spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Now in that vein, I have read that some silicone-based greases can degrade silicone rubber. That worries me. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing fancy new spark plug wires on my uber truck just to have the silicone rubber spark plug boots soften and degrade because I used dielectric grease on the inside of the boots. Have we got any chemists or chemical engineers who can offer authoritative advice?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why, yes I have! And it's heartbreaking. I don't know how some folks less fortunate than myself can afford to fill their tanks. There are politicians (not mentioning any names because they're swear words in some quarters) who are saying this gas price crisis is just a feature of the transition to electric cars. I sincerely and vigorously doubt it. We may see more electric scooters in the near future, but people who are financially stressed at the gas station are profoundly unlikely to be Tesla customers. That's just stupid and I could unspool a convincing sermon on the matter, but this thread is about spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Now in that vein, I have read that some silicone-based greases can degrade silicone rubber. That worries me. I don't want to go to the trouble of installing fancy new spark plug wires on my uber truck just to have the silicone rubber spark plug boots soften and degrade because I used dielectric grease on the inside of the boots. Have we got any chemists or chemical engineers who can offer authoritative advice?
Ford recommends a light coating of silicone dielectric grease inside of the plug and coil boots. So no need to worry. Plug wires/boots will swell and disintegrate from petroleum products, such as motor oil.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford recommends a light coating of silicone dielectric grease inside of the plug and coil boots. So no need to worry. Plug wires/boots will swell and disintegrate from petroleum products, such as motor oil.
Confirmation! I wrote to Permatex and asked if their Dielectric Tune-Up Grease will degrade silicone rubber products. They wrote back - same day! - and assured me that their product will not degrade any rubber product including those made of silicone rubber.

So with the assurance of the manufacturer, a valued Ford tech, and no particular stance by MDS, I installed my new MDS spark plug wires yesterday. Unlike the sparkplug installation, I managed to do it without removing either the intake plenum or the front tires. But next time, if there is one, I'll do the spark plug change and the spark plug wires in the same effort. It's not easy work, the confines are tight, and there are lots of things in there that will scratch and cut your hands and forearms. I am VERY glad that I bought a sparkplug boot puller!!!

The MDS spark plug wires (P/N 31639) fit perfectly. They might be a small fraction longer than the factory wires, appear to be of very good quality, and are easy to manipulate. The wire hold-downs provided are not compatible with the pegs on the valve covers, but the original wire hold-downs can be reused. It's a tight fit to get the MDS wires into the factory hold-downs, but you can make it work if you have a strong thumb.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI, MSD makes coil packs for the GEN1 6.2L V8. Sold in sets of 8 ($483.95 from MDS) or individually ($67.42) in either red or black.

CessnaDriver

Reaction score
One more question about the coil packs, I have a 2012, with 160k and no service history when I got it at 113k. I replaced the lower plugs and wires when redoing the CV axles and suspension, should I also spring for the coils as well, or just replace the boots? I am assuming the coils are original.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One more question about the coil packs, I have a 2012, with 160k and no service history when I got it at 113k. I replaced the lower plugs and wires when redoing the CV axles and suspension, should I also spring for the coils as well, or just replace the boots? I am assuming the coils are original.
Why replace something unless it's broken? If you don't have a problem to solve, save your money.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good.
Why change your oil if the engine still spins freely?? Not the way I think at all. I replaced all 8 coils, all 16 spark plugs,and all wires, its a preventative maintenance way of thinking, its not a new truck anymore. You have to remove the coils to get at the top plugs and your going to screw around with the boots and crap to save a couple hundred dollars. She is getting up there in mileage, do it right and then you don't have to worry about those items for at least 100k.