6.2L spark plug change - tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why change your oil if the engine still spins freely?? Not the way I think at all. I replaced all 8 coils, all 16 spark plugs,and all wires, its a preventative maintenance way of thinking, its not a new truck anymore. You have to remove the coils to get at the top plugs and your going to screw around with the boots and crap to save a couple hundred dollars. She is getting up there in mileage, do it right and then you don't have to worry about those items for at least 100k.
A valid point to be sure. I do a LOT of preventive maintenance myself - mostly fluid changes because fluids age and become increasingly acidic as they do. But ignition components are not fluids, so I guess it's a cross between a personal preference and a judgement call. So if you take your truck on extended road trips or go off-road to nowhere, you might well change out those coil packs at 160K miles. But if it's a daily driver and most of your driving is close to home, the difficulties associated with a coil failure are a lot less because you can limp the beast home.

CessnaDriver

Reaction score
It’s mostly been a daily, though I am taking it to the texas raptor run. It had also developed a slightly rough idle.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s mostly been a daily, though I am taking it to the texas raptor run. It had also developed a slightly rough idle.
Well, there it is - a good reason to troubleshoot under the hood. If you don't know when or if the spark plugs were changed out, at 160K miles you certainly need to have a look. That's where I'd start.

CessnaDriver

Reaction score
So I actually didn’t get a chance to change the the plugs and coils out before the TRR. I did get a tube from 5 star, while I was there. It seemed to smooth things out. I have long tubes, cat back and an intake.

CIB2007

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just completed replacing the plugs, coil packs and wires on my 14 with 95k on the clock. Took me about 3.5 hrs, I removed the flares and inner fenders made it way easier. As I was removing the first plug on the driver side I noticed it looked different from the coil pack plug. Which it was….all the lower plugs on my truck were different from the top. I bought the truck new so I’m pretty sure someone was sleeping on the job when my truck came down the line. Has anyone seen this before? The 12NPGs were under the coil packs and the 12Fs were in the cylinders.0E2F864E-2CEB-4138-BD55-B59755689A3D.jpeg