6.2L spark plug change - tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
any opinions on the best type of spark plug puller? The shortest one for clearance, or the scissor style for leverage?

Attachments

• 20220703_172758.jpg
    20220703_172758.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220703_172711.jpg
    20220703_172711.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
any opinions on the best type of spark plug puller? The shortest one for clearance, or the scissor style for leverage?
Skip the plastic one. I tried it, and had very, very limited success because they are bulky and there is only one way to use them. The metal ones are better, but some are fairly flimsy. Check the shipping weights to get an idea of how well they're constructed.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CYFS 12-FP? I’m pretty sure the bottom plugs are correct?
The reason I asked is because it's a possibility that the owner's manual specifies 8 of one type and 8 of another. It would be interesting to know.
But for the current spec, take your VIN to your Ford dealership's parts counter and have them look it up by VIN only. Don't tell them year or model, just ask for 16 plugs for the VIN. That's what I did. I also asked if they were pre-gapped, and was told that they were. Well, only maybe. Some were close, and some were surprisingly off.

Last edited:

trackguy3

Reaction score
So just completed replacing the plugs, coil packs and wires on my 14 with 95k on the clock. Took me about 3.5 hrs, I removed the flares and inner fenders made it way easier. As I was removing the first plug on the driver side I noticed it looked different from the coil pack plug. Which it was….all the lower plugs on my truck were different from the top. I bought the truck new so I’m pretty sure someone was sleeping on the job when my truck came down the line. Has anyone seen this before? The 12NPGs were under the coil packs and the 12Fs were in the cylinders.View attachment 361585
My '14 came the same way, but the VIN only pulls up one set of plugs.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reason I asked is because it's a possibility that the owner's manual specifies 8 of one type and 8 of another.

Nobody puts single platinum coated back in though. Replacement plugs (CYFS 12-FP) are coated on both surfaces, hence the name double platinums.