6.2L spark plug change - tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FNG in FL duhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went with the OEM Motorcrafts. I decided not to change the wires because mine are still in great shape and I didn't see the need. They would be easy enough down the road if necessary. It would be a 30 minute job to do just the wires.

Oh ok cool. Makes sense not too too bad

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did mine during the wu-flu layoffs. Top are all cake. Hardest part is releasing the input wiring from the coils, if even you do that. I cleaned the coils up, inspected the boots which all looked good, slathered em in some dielectric. I kept track of them so I could rotate their location front to back when they went back in.

For the side plugs, you can get everything from up top, but getting the socket and extensions onto the plug is much easier from the side in most cases. You don't need a swivel or wobble if you have a bunch of different extension lengths to choose from.

Someone needs to make a stand that fits on the frame behind the bumper so you can stand or kneel on it. I put a foot on each rail and stand on them.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to tackle this today. Going to take my time and may even do one side of the engine today, and the other side tomorrow. I figure on removing the front tires, though.

One thing I've really been wondering about is whether it makes sense to do one piston at a time one-by-one, or whether it is more efficient to do the top row and then the bottom row. The wiring is the factor I'm not sure about. Any suggestions before I go out into the shop and get greasy?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to tackle this today. Going to take my time and may even do one side of the engine today, and the other side tomorrow. I figure on removing the front tires, though.

One thing I've really been wondering about is whether it makes sense to do one piston at a time one-by-one, or whether it is more efficient to do the top row and then the bottom row. The wiring is the factor I'm not sure about. Any suggestions before I go out into the shop and get greasy?
Yeah, pull the wheels off and sit on a chair, that's what i did, the drivers side is pretty easy, start there so you get the hang of it and then move to the passenger side, just take your time on the 2nd plug from the front, the top are so easy, especially if you remove the air filter intake tube , etc. Good time to clean it all.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3 1/2 hours later and I've replaced the upper 8 (the "easy" ones) spark plugs. Started it up and it runs smoothly. No mistakes so far, and that's it for me. It's Miller, Guinness, Bud, and Corona time.

I have one question for tomorrow's effort: Is it possible to replace the lower banks of spark plugs on the 6.2L without removing the wheel well liners? That looks real difficult to me. I'd like to avoid that complexity if possible. (Please God!)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3 1/2 hours later and I've replaced the upper 8 (the "easy" ones) spark plugs. Started it up and it runs smoothly. No mistakes so far, and that's it for me. It's Miller, Guinness, Bud, and Corona time.

I have one question for tomorrow's effort: Is it possible to replace the lower banks of spark plugs on the 6.2L without removing the wheel well liners? That looks real difficult to me. I'd like to avoid that complexity if possible. (Please God!)
Lots have done it with them in place, I removed mine when I did it, just because I have OCD and went on a retarded cleaning at the same time.