6.2 raptor exhaust and droning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having modified the exhaust on my last two trucks as well as my Raptor, I think I may have something to contribute.

I had a 1986 1/2 Nissan 4x4 with the 2400cc 4-banger. I took off the factory exhaust and installed a Flowmaster. When I went to the shop to pick it up I asked the proprietor how it sounded. He looked at the ground, shook his head and said, "It's loud." He wasn't kidding. When I started it up it sounded like a Space Shuttle launch. As I drove it home I learned that any marginally meaningful application of throttle could get me arrested. I called Flowmaster and they very kindly send me a resonator free of charge. That solved the problem, and I thereafter had the coolest sounding 4-banger 4x4 in north Alabama.

My next truck was a 2WD GMC Canyon with the 3.5L 5 cylinder engine. I had ordered it from the factory with a manual transmission, and the thing was so over-muffled that I couldn't hear when to shift. I replaced the factory system with a Magnaflow cat-back system, and it really improved the sound and enjoyment of the vehicle. No drone.

And here is the thread on the replacement of the factory Raptor muffler with a Magnaflow muffler: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/installation-magnaflow-12388-2011-6-2-supercab-26021/

What I learned from the work on the Raptor is that there is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the Raptor factory exhaust system. It's a good system, in fact. It doesn't drone, sounds beefy, and has a very pleasant rasp when you hit the throttle. I scared a Mazda Miata driver nearly off the road with it during a passing maneuver. The Magnaflow is a little louder, but is smoother and lacks the rasp at full throttle. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't.

Gorelaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I think you can choose any cat-back system you prefer as long as it comes with a resonator, If in case it doesn't, try welding in the stock resonator from the OEM exhaust... that helped me alot with my drone issues on my Roush side-exit catback.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could save a few hundred dollars and get the Corsa resonator delete pipe and a Borla nmuffler installed and end up with a great sounding set up plus a factory resonator and pipe