6.2 cam phasers & performance cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RICK ERICKSON

Reaction score
I recently got 2 6.2 low millage complete pull out core engines to performacne build. I was told one was a good runner and the other was a runner but had a light rod knock. Pulled both engins apart and they booth look to be in very good condition and can not see any reason for a rod, pin or maine knock. The only thing i found that might have caused a knock was one cam phaser I could rattel a little like the bolts that hold it onto the cam was lose but there not. The others felt solidly mounted on the cams. Is there a issue with the 6.2 cam phaser's ? Since i am performance building these for vintage cars I can lock them but would like to use them with limited motion of about 6 to 8 degrees for a wider tork curve. Having 1 set cams reground right now that will have .550 lift at valve & 225 duration @ .050 on a 115 Lsa. Wanted more lift like .600 but going less on this 1st set and if the rocker geometry works well i will try more lift on the next set

OP
OP
R

RICK ERICKSON

Reaction score
Took the cam phasers apart yesterday to see how they work and they are a fairly straight forward simple desigin and looks like they can be easily limited & controled or locked by making an alum mounting plate that will gutt that inner heavy rotor assy. The stock phasers have a ton of movment guessing around 25 degress probally for Epa std. I am going to try the phares but limit them to 7 degress with them fully advanced at start and low rpm and then swith to full retard at a set upper rpm. The cams being made are on the small side for the power band i wanted but by retarding the cams 7 degress in the upper rpm range it should widen the tork curve about 600rpm and that would be very nice of coarse this is all just theory so real word here i come

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if you know but Livernois has two cam phaser options, Full and Variable.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/CAM-PHASER-LOCKOUTS-LIMITERS-KITS

The cams are ground to produce a linear high torque curve through out the entire rpm range.
The whole concept for the HO 6.2L is for off-roading not street racing.

But I'm very interested what you come up with.

OP
OP
R

RICK ERICKSON

Reaction score
Thanks MTF, Yes i do know Livernois makes them but honestly booth are fairly simple to designe and with the right equiment they can be made better for alot less $$$. I know these engins where designed for a light truck but i know what works for performance and the basic designe is well suited for a serious street performance & entry level race platform. The block, Heads, Valve traine are a better design than a LS or modern Hemi in my opion. Livernois Cam have around .600 lift at valve and that is great but the 6.2 heads stock flow to .650 lift so if i could get a blank like they have that is where i would start off with and decrease duration for even better low end tork. Since i am limited to .550 lift i am increasing the duration atleast 15 degress @ .050 over Livernois cams. If these reground cams works as planned with the limited phasers fully retarding 7 degress at upper rpm it should make max hp right around 6500 to 6800 rpm

OP
OP
R

RICK ERICKSON

Reaction score
Got my first set of cams yesterday from Daniel for my turbo build. He did a great job and after he looked over my heads he decided a single pattern cam would work best with my turbo build. The cams now have .545 lift at valves thats up from .510esh and the duration at 220 @ .050 thats up from 200esh @ .050 with a 114lsa. With one cam installed in head there looks to be zero valve traine mods needed as the valve adjuster has about .100 more travel left when at zero lash. I will be installing light test springs to get a better look at the overall rocker arm geometry and check the true valve timing to cam timing. If needed i can easily increase the valve stem height when doing the head work to collapse the valve adj closer to factor. If these hyd adj are any thing like old school cam on hyd lifters by decreased there compersion should be an improvment at higher rpm.

Oh here are the factory 6.2 raptor at cam specs per Daniel, intake lift .318 extaust .308 / Duration intake 194 @ .050 exhaust 206 @ .050

6.2 cams 042.jpg

6.2 cams 037.jpg

6.2 cams 041.jpg

6.2 cams 039.jpg

6.2 cams 036.jpg

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting - Thank you for taking the time to post.
Please keep us updated with your progress.
Single or dual turbo build?
Stock rods & pistons?
Crank HP goal on Pump gas?

OP
OP
R

RICK ERICKSON

Reaction score
Twin turbos but will run mild to modest boost. Forged 6.300 long 4340 I beam rods and forged small dished pistons 9.0 cr. Will make more Hp than needed at 12psi on pump premium. Guessing about 750 to 850 FWHP @ 6500rpm. Could swith to e85 / tune and turn the boost up to 20psi if the heads will stay on and should easily get about 1300 FWHP

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your numbers are doable 10 - 12PSI - 93 pump - 9.0 CR if your charge temps are kept down. Should last a long time.

20 PSI on E85 should give you some spare parts LOL not all straight. it would be interesting test to see how long it would hold together.

The motor - Block, crank & heads are very beefy - Even by todays standards.

Great build - Keep us posted.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really cool that you are sharing info and trying to do some things on your own.
There was a couple Mustang guys I spoke to back in 2012 that built up 6.2's for a drag car project. I'll have to dig through some old emails and see what I saved.

Keep posting..

AJS44

Reaction score
I lost a passenger side cam phaser and when it went out, the truck would start loping/surging under throttle. About 100 miles later it threw a light. Never any rattling or knocking sounds, just running poorly.