5star econ tune questions/strangeness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wishbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a 91 Perf tune for a few weeks and loved it but wanted to try the 91 econ tune. However, after updating to this tune I noticed a couple of things I thought were odd. My ambient temp reported via OBD to torque dropped to 2-3F (MFT still shows 90F accurately) and the elec fan doesn't seem to run at idle except every 60 seconds or so for a few seconds and then switches off. Intake temps seem to climb pretty quickly at idle without this fan running. Other than that the vehicle seems to run fine, but was curious if anyone else had experienced anything like this?

Here's my setup
2014 Raptor
Kooks headers
AFE cat back
AFE intake

OP
OP
wishbone

wishbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It stopped doing it. I've noticed some weirdness in my vehicle the very first drive after any programming. It seems to go away after a few more miles. It may also be due to my OBD scanning program as well because it seems to be mostly related to the bus. Still haven't tracked it down but I'm glad the issues went away.

5star said these particular issues shouldn't be related to the econ tune, so I was just curious if anyone else noticed anything like this right after updating to a different tune.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, you should do a battery disconnect for a good 20 minutes plus, after loading any Tune. Then it can take 15 minutes to learn the idling

Then the truck needs a good drive cycle with an 8 hr vehicle clock shutdown. (overnight) and it can take up to six drive cycles to completely teach the PCM.

Our radiator fans are variable speed step and is controlled by the PCM, and from your description this is the way it should work nothing wrong with them.

Also sitting in the sun is going to through those two temps readings off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wishbone

wishbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the temp readings were like 3F during a 90+F day, so that was a bit strange, but it definitely corrected itself after a night in the garage. *shrug*

What's a "drive cycle" exactly?

Great info! I wish they put some sort of instructions in the SCT that included that stuff if it's really necessary.

thanks for responding!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the Owners manual Printing 3 (.pdf) page 391 under Maintenance and Specifications on the Ford Owners Website
I got this from my 2010 1/2 owners manual.
You can check your year, but it should be the same.

I've flashed back and forth numerous times now over 2 1/2 years and never really followed the complete drive cycle thing.
I do the battery disconnect, I do let it idle before driving and take it easy for a while trying not to drive erratically, the first day or two.
The PCM is always learning so eventually it will get there.

Readiness for Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) testing

Some state/provincial and local governments may have
Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) programs to inspect the emission control
equipment on your vehicle. Failure to pass this inspection could prevent
you from getting a vehicle registration. Your vehicle may not pass the I/M
test if the service engine soon indicator is on or not working
properly (bulb is burned out), or if the OBD-II system has determined
that some of the emission control systems have not been properly
checked. In this case, the vehicle is considered not ready for I/M testing.
If the service engine soon indicator is on or the bulb does not
work, the vehicle may need to be serviced. Refer to On-board
diagnostics (OBD-II) in this chapter.

If the vehicle’s engine or transmission has just been serviced, or the
battery has recently run down or been replaced, the OBD-II system may
indicate that the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing. To determine if the
vehicle is ready for I/M testing, turn the ignition key to the on position
for 15 seconds without cranking the engine. If the service engine
soon indicator blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not
ready for I/M testing; if the service engine soon indicator stays on
solid, it means that the vehicle is ready for I/M testing.

The OBD-II system is designed to check the emission control system
during normal driving. A complete check may take several days.

If the vehicle is not ready for I/M testing,
the following driving cycle consisting of mixed city and highway driving may be performed:

15 minutes of steady driving on an expressway/highway followed by 20 minutes of stop-and-go driving,
with at least four 30-second idle periods.
Allow the vehicle to sit for at least eight hours without starting the engine.
Then, start the engine and complete the above driving cycle.
The engine must warm up to its normal operating temperature.
Once started, do not turn off the engine until the above driving cycle is complete.
If the vehicle is still not ready for I/M testing, the above driving cycle will have to be repeated.

Maintenance and Specifications

Last edited: