4A Binding VS Tire Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfiu873hn2nm

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on 4A Binding VS Tire Pressure vs damage to drivetrain. Wanting to run 42psi front and 35psi rear empty fox 3.0 adjustable but concerned about axle/wheel speed differences on road. Not using for 4H/L.

Having a difficult time finding a technical description of how 4A wet clutch and other drivetrain components work. Is there a good reference to a technical description of the drivetrain? More than 1 or 2 paragraphs. Is it provided in a service manual?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Pretty good description from Engineering Explained here: The New Ford Raptor Has Both 4WD & AWD! - YouTube

It doesn't go into specifics of the torque value loads. For sure the torque applied through the AWD clutch is controlled by the Throttle Requested Load applied, so if simply cruising down the road the clutch will be open with no torque applied to the front and when Load is requested by the throttle pedal, the electronic clutch applies torque in relation to the Load Requested. I'm not sure, but I don't think it is directly proportional. It appears that there is a point where is applies torque to the maximum capacity. You can see it in action on screen with one of the selected views.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on 4A Binding VS Tire Pressure vs damage to drivetrain. Wanting to run 42psi front and 35psi rear empty fox 3.0 adjustable but concerned about axle/wheel speed differences on road. Not using for 4H/L.

Having a difficult time finding a technical description of how 4A wet clutch and other drivetrain components work. Is there a good reference to a technical description of the drivetrain? More than 1 or 2 paragraphs. Is it provided in a service manual?

If you have the tire pressure adjusted properly, the radius of the tires will be the same. That's why you do it.

OP
OP
J

jfiu873hn2nm

Reaction score
If you have the tire pressure adjusted properly, the radius of the tires will be the same. That's why you do it.

Sounds interesting to gather data on. Will use forscan to monitor rev per mi on cold tire. I think i remember it collecting front vs rear.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run typically higher than stock air pressures for added fuel economy but I think 42 is a bit much. I run 38 in front and 36 in back with no issues but I definitely air down before going off road. Careful running over stock air pressures for extended periods as from experience this causes the center of each tire to wear out faster