37 tire and wheel question please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running 37" toyos on method standard rims right now on top perch I didn't hammer te pinch welds down I cut it back and just welded a bead along it to make sure it held up just fine. I do plan in getting glass fenders case it will rub a little when landing and since I jump mine pretty often case in always at texana Offroad ranch. But they don't rub a lot just a tiny bit which was a great surprise cause I was expecting to see my fenders explode web I landed haha would have given me a better excuse to get glass on the front but the wife supports the idea and thinks it makes the trucks look even better haha ill try and post up some pics here in a bit

37s with stock fenders are doable, as evidenced by guys like you and bstoner, but I am shocked you're not rubbing at those seams, especially offroad. For me making a U-Turn on asphalt was a ******* Austin Powers-esque 15 point turn with all the rubbing I had going on there before hammering them down.

Tizzle has never flattened his rear seam welds and has gotten away with it back there (although he has a very different rear suspension setup than we do, and has kept his bumpstops stiff) but based on how my truck reacted to this mod I am befuddled as to how you're getting away with it up front.

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, before taking a sledge hammer to the front I could only turn the wheel about one full circle. It made driving anywhere a huge hassle.

I forgot one day and rolled over a curb with the wheel turned and the tire still hit the part that I had bashed in. I'm not sure how you guys with stock fenders do it without a sledge hammer to the truck. I couldnt even turn the wheel with out making contact.

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
37s with stock fenders are doable, as evidenced by guys like you and bstoner, but I am shocked you're not rubbing at those seams, especially offroad. For me making a U-Turn on asphalt was a ******* Austin Powers-esque 15 point turn with all the rubbing I had going on there before hammering them down.

Tizzle has never flattened his rear seam welds and has gotten away with it back there (although he has a very different rear suspension setup than we do, and has kept his bumpstops stiff) but based on how my truck reacted to this mod I am befuddled as to how you're getting away with it up front.

Haha I got rid of the front seam I didn't hammer it down I got my angle grinder and cut it back flat about a foot up the wheel well then just took my mig welder and put a little bead along the seam where I grinded it flat so it didn't separate or anything. On the rear I didn't even touch it and its perfectly fine but I do have a stage 3 RPG kit on it with national springs and I'm running 200 psi in my bump stops so I'm sure that's what's keeping it from hitting the rear seam. But I might grind that down a little just to be safe and I'm also thinking of going glass bedsides along with the glass front fenders. But yea it's a HUGE improvement Offroad with 37's but my gas milage went to shit haha even though it was already pretty bad but now I'm getting 11.6MPG lol but totally worth it!

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha I got rid of the front seam I didn't hammer it down I got my angle grinder and cut it back flat about a foot up the wheel well then just took my mig welder and put a little bead along the seam where I grinded it flat so it didn't separate or anything.

Oh...gotcha. That makes more sense. haha

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I got rid of the front seam I didn't hammer it down I got my angle grinder and cut it back flat about a foot up the wheel well then just took my mig welder and put a little bead along the seam where I grinded it flat so it didn't separate or anything.

Oh ok, I didn't catch that in your first post, that makes sense then. I would just go ahead and do the rears if I were you (and Raptizzle) no point in risking perfectly good tires and also you don't wanna have to rely on your bumpstops for that, particularly if you're keeping them at a higher pressure than you'd like just to protect the tire from the seam weld.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...I really appreciate all of these insights guys....I am really starting to beleive 37s with a mid-perch only mod would be a BIG mistake!!

Damn...37s look so sweet on our trucks too! :mad:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
hmmmm...I really appreciate all of these insights guys....I am really starting to beleive 37s with a mid-perch only mod would be a BIG mistake!!

Here's another consideration that hit me like a ton of bricks when I was (and still am) contemplating 37s. Where are you going to put the 37" spare?

BOJANGLES

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another consideration that hit me like a ton of bricks when I was (and still am) contemplating 37s. Where are you going to put the 37" spare?

For me, the answer to that question is in a Baja Coyote race rack from Raptor Addict.

But if I'm not mistaken, G (username E63) shows in his build-up thread how he modified the stock spare location to retain his tow package and fit a 37 down there

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm in the process of making a bed rack for my spares and fuel jugs right now and standing up side by side they fit perfect in the rack I designed with the tires in the middle and the fuel jugs on each side.

Yea they look like they should have come with the 37's! Just go top perch and do the little bit of work on the wheel wells its totally worth it in my opinion everything is softer Offroad these beasts soak up all the bumps so nice. This is how it was explained to me by jarrett and Corey from RPG: top perch will not affect your cv angles with an aftermarket bumper on too perch. The problem people are having is being on top perch with the stock bumpers still cause the weight of an aftermarket bumper is more than stock (mine is about 45 lbs heavier than stock) it helps keep the front end down a little!

I've been running the top perch for about 8 months now with no problems whatsoever and I love the way it looks! So I say go for it cause I see you have the ADD stealth bumper on there it'll look great just look at my sexy ass truck haha :laughing1: