3-Cylinder EcoBoost! And how car companies FAKE the engine SOUND better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
*shrug* I would turn it off. Or maybe not. I don't know. I have to admit it sounds pretty cool in my friends M3.

Ever hear what a real punch in the face sounds like? Would you prefer that over the kaboomcrunch we hear regularly during fight scenes on TV or in movies? Or gun shots? Or how about explosions? Or about a bazillion other enhancements that are made for our enjoyment.

Like I said I don't see the big deal. If its not for you, turn it off. Or don't and maybe enjoy the experience a little bit more. But either way I can't see how its a bad thing worthy of scorn.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's a huge jip. If I pay 60k for an M3. I want the power and sound that the engine is tuned to make. Not a fabrication of the sound. I can go buy a Kia look alike, slap an m3 badge on it and emulate the sound and have paid 40k less.

-----
Sent from my iPhone thingy

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3-cylinder engines the "next big thing?" Surely this is an oxymoron.

I wonder if those things come with a buttonhole attachment. It sure would be handy.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That sound racer thing looks immensely entertaining to take on business trips to spice up rental vehicles (making a rental Yaris entertaining is hard). It'd be good for a laugh anyway.

I may buy one for our Toyota Hiace van in Afghanistan for the lol's.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
But are fake engine sounds coming from your speakers what YOU want to do for your "jollytime?" :D

Seriously, maybe they could use a 3-cylinder EcoBoost motor in the Raptor and other trucks and they could put a fake supercharged V-8 under the hood (better to look at), run fake blown V-8 sounds through the speakers (better to listen to) - they could even put some speakers in the back and/or under the truck to make it sound better on the outside! And then add a mammoth coffee can exhaust pipe to show the world you've got...oh wait, that's a different type of sound. :D

New Exhaust on the FD (Coffee Can) Bridgeported Engine - YouTube

hahaha, you will laugh but I had an RX-7 with a big fart can exhaust like that and as silly as it was - the sound of blowing thru gears and shifting at 8200RPM was a helluva lot of fun. sent chills up my spine listening to that rotary engine scream.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahaha, you will laugh but I had an RX-7 with a big fart can exhaust like that and as silly as it was - the sound of blowing thru gears and shifting at 8200RPM was a helluva lot of fun. sent chills up my spine listening to that rotary engine scream.

Not sure if you know this but the rotor motor is the best power to weight ratio engine ever designed. Muller the guy that has the patent in a flying car uses them to power his car... The Moller SkyCar is the only practical flying car ever made...
http://www.moller.com/

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I built a rotor motor (aka a Wankel) in high school. Almost 20 years later full of purpose built machine experience, I still consider it to be one of the best designs of any working machine I've run across. Wankel was truly a genius.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Not sure if you know this but the rotor motor is the best power to weight ratio engine ever designed. Muller the guy that has the patent in a flying car uses them to power his car... The Moller SkyCar is the only practical flying car ever made...
http://www.moller.com/

i've never seen that Moller SkyCar before but I was aware of the many benefits(and drawbacks) of a rotary engine. I had the 13B rotary - probably could have tucked it under my arm and walked around with it(well, BigJ could anyway).