3.5HO Sounds so good.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorTurboS

Reaction score
The key to this truck isnt making the exhaust louder, its making the turbo louder. Instead of trying to make it sound like the big V8 that it isnt, its better to to focus on the twin turbos. Intake, remove silencer rings, and atmospheric BOV mod go a long way in making this thing sound like a beast!

I agree, it definitely doesn’t sound as bad as I anticipated based on the comments I read on this board. I do prefer a beefy V8 (like the Cayenne GTS I sold for this truck), but it has a cool sound. I just installed a Roush CAI and I think it improved the engine sounds more. I didn’t remove the silencer rings since the Roush instructions stated to keep them in there. Will it really make that much of a difference if removed? Do they not help with smoothing the air?

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a V8 guy all the way, BUT since we have no choice I now have a V6.
I have to be honest, I think the stock Raptor sounds much better then what I was expecting. I had the speaker fill turned off (Forscan) but I still had a little surprise coming...Last November at the 1000 I was fully loaded up, a full chase rack, ice chests, food, tools and 4 adults...and came up to a road crossing in which a race car was coming, so I stand on it at about 10 mph and didn't stop until about 70 mph. Had all 4 windows down (had never driven like that before) and was kind of blown away at how good it sounds loaded up and on the gas!

Can't stand drone while cruising down the hiway! so no aftermarket exhaust in my future...

Someone mentioned the onboard MPG calculator possibly "off"....Mine was reading 2 MPG high, the numbers was not that big of a deal because this truck purchase was not about mileage, but it should be more accurate then that. I did a re-cal on it and now it reads .5 MPG low...I can live with that...

Alan C

Reaction score
I really like the sound. Trust me I am a V8 my Z06 Vette sounds utterly amazing at all speeds especially when at a track day doing 150 down the back stright. It sounds like the hounds of hell he'll have been unleashed!!!

However, for the raptor being a dune and high speed off-road weapon, the whole light weight aluminum body smaller lighter engine, cush rc car suspension , and wide body looks all just work perfect. If it we're a drag racing focused truck or another big work truck the sound wouldn't work. But it totally works for what it is!

Fury Road

Reaction score
This is so subjective. I think the truck sounds pretty good but its not like I'm coming from a great sounding V8 either. My F80 M3 sounded like a lawnmower with rocks caught in it, its all relative....

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think it sounds like poo, but I'm getting used to my own brand. That said, it recently spent a few (more) days in the desert and there's nothing close to it (showroom stock) for running fast in the desert.

Can concur that a Z06 with an exhaust approaching on a 150 mph straight is sex. Same goes for a GT3.