3.5 EB spark plug design update ‘22+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did mine today , the 22s do use the flat gasket style. I found some ford info and they seemed pretty firm on the indexing. I also found info saying torquing to 18 lbs would insure proper clocking. They sure dont move much from seated to 18 lbs

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 parts numbers for 2017-2020/2021; the original - SP578 - and the supersession, SP 594.

2021 3.5 built after 7-19-21 use SP596, which are gasket seat instead of tapered seat and use an indexed ground electrode.

You’re exaggerating as usual.
My 21' Raptor was delivered in September 2021. Probably don't have the SP596 plugs. Any reason not to use the SP596 plugs for a replacement?

MorBoost

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm these plugs work for gen 3s? Ford Racing (M-12405-35T) 10-17 Flex 3.5L EcoBoost Cold Spark Plug Set
These are the tapered base plugs I'm assuming, that are not gasketed.

The head holes are tapered in a cone fashion on the older ones. The newer ones are not tapered, and use an indexed plug with a gasket.

If someone is using the old, tapered plugs on a newer, not tapered head, I'd imagine they are destroying head threads/heads.

As far I as I know, no "Ford Performance colder plugs" currently exist for the gasketed 22+ 3.5 plugs.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 21' Raptor was delivered in September 2021. Probably don't have the SP596 plugs. Any reason not to use the SP596 plugs for a replacement?
You should be using what ever it came with. The is two kinds. The taper bar and the crush washer
The 22+ have a different plug design than the older ones.
i know ppl that have used the old tapered in the new head. ‍♂️. I don’t know enough to say they are wrong. But I didn’t

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 22+ have a different plug design than the older ones.
I certainly appreciate your reply, but my question wasn’t quite answered. I’ll put it a different way: does anyone here know if the 22+ raptors will accept a tapered seat as well as a gasket seat? Some engines are designed to accept both, I was curious if someone knowledgeable about these engines knew the answer.

Last edited:

mook5186

Reaction score
I’m also curious just got a misfire code after a tune, down pipes and FMIC I have about 18k on my 22 I was just going to change plugs I bought some off SPD but they do not have the gasket. Doesn’t anyone know if the tapers will work if not I’ll be sending these back and getting OEM ones