2023 Torsen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed zero difference in traction with my 23 vs my 20 with torsen, but I haven’t done any rock crawling with the 23. The only thing I notice is way less torque steer in 4A.
I noticed that as well.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I did notice in my last Raptor run there was a 23 Raptor behind me and the driver/truck fell a good bit behind when we hit sand. He was usually right behind on every turn except for the sandy parts on the run. I asked him what happened to him when we pulled over for all the other trucks to catch up - I had to wait for him a good 3 min, so he would not miss the next turn.

The driver of the 23 Raptor told me he was not sure and said my truck just pulled away from him during the sandy part of the trail. We were both in Baja mode and the only difference is my Raptor is a 21 with a front torsen. I am sure the driver was NOT ***** footing his gas pedal through the sand as he was always right behind me. Of course this could just be coincidence.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve noticed zero difference in traction with my 23 vs my 20 with torsen, but I haven’t done any rock crawling with the 23. The only thing I notice is way less torque steer in 4A.
I can’t help but wonder if warranty claims for “pulls to the side in 4A” was a significant factor in the removal of the Torsen from Raptor. Perhaps it’s not as noticeable in the Tremor with the standard suspension and smaller tires.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t help but wonder if warranty claims for “pulls to the side in 4A” was a significant factor in the removal of the Torsen from Raptor. Perhaps it’s not as noticeable in the Tremor with the standard suspension and smaller tires.
That’s entirely possible. To me I knew what it was so never worried about it, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as a 500whp Subaru I used to have, that thing would step over a whole lane at full boil when trying to go straight.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the '23 tremor still have a Torsen? I wonder if it's a drop in swap

R3P7ER

Reaction score
I have a 2023 37pp, and like many of you I was pissed to find out that I didn’t have a torsen front differential. I originally ordered a MY22, but it sat for months and was never picked up by ford. I converted my order to a MY23, at the recommendation of my dealership, and it was picked up right away. It wound up being a second week build and was one of the early MY23’s off the production line. I just assumed that I was still getting an identical build to my prior MY22 order, including a torsen front differential. I only found out I didn’t have a torsen from all of you here on this forum. I am incredibly grateful to this forum and all of information readily available to us average Raptor owners. This is my personal experience with ordering and installing a torsen on a MY23.

I was immediately pissed at ford, I can only assume it was a cost-cutting measure as it was not widely marketed to us the consumer that we were getting a much better “break-assisted system”. Ford made it very clear that the torsen had been removed from the Raptor R due to the power output, but nothing was mention in the media about the ecoboost raptor.

I hear many people saying that we are unsure if anyone has had any negligible experience with off-roading, and only time will tell with that. For me, I ordered the Rigid lights package only because I wanted the torsen. The factory Rigid lights are pretty weak. I switched the Rigid lights out for better lights immediately after receiving my truck, but wasn’t aware I didn’t have a torsen.

I was able to order a Torsen through Ford Performance with a 20% off deal they were running. Part number M-4204- F150LS I used the ford points I earned from buying the truck and I wound up spending $204 for the torsen carrier (original price $710). I also picked up a couple of carrier bearings from ford parts for $34.83 each (part number NL3Z4220A). I called a few of my local area Ford dealerships and they all were A) uncertain if the exchange could be performed, and B) unwilling to do it. A local gear and differential shop installed it for me for $600 flat, including tax and fluids.

It works flawlessly in all driving situations thus far and all driving modes. In 2WD, it obviously feels the same while at my local Starbucks, but at the lease and while off-road, I can definitely feel a difference in 4 auto or 4H. It may be placebo, but I am more comfortable in most situations. I know that with one wheel in the air, it is equivalent to an open differential, but now I can just hit the brakes with the wheel in the air. I no longer have to worry about getting stuck while hopping the curb at the Starbucks parking or while driving across the small patch of grass.

I have been very happy with the change. I wish Ford would have been more forthright with us about the change and given us a credit like they did with the heated steering wheel, but changing it was not that difficult once I found a shop willing to do it.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2023 37pp, and like many of you I was pissed to find out that I didn’t have a torsen front differential. I originally ordered a MY22, but it sat for months and was never picked up by ford. I converted my order to a MY23, at the recommendation of my dealership, and it was picked up right away. It wound up being a second week build and was one of the early MY23’s off the production line. I just assumed that I was still getting an identical build to my prior MY22 order, including a torsen front differential. I only found out I didn’t have a torsen from all of you here on this forum. I am incredibly grateful to this forum and all of information readily available to us average Raptor owners. This is my personal experience with ordering and installing a torsen on a MY23.

I was immediately pissed at ford, I can only assume it was a cost-cutting measure as it was not widely marketed to us the consumer that we were getting a much better “break-assisted system”. Ford made it very clear that the torsen had been removed from the Raptor R due to the power output, but nothing was mention in the media about the ecoboost raptor.

I hear many people saying that we are unsure if anyone has had any negligible experience with off-roading, and only time will tell with that. For me, I ordered the Rigid lights package only because I wanted the torsen. The factory Rigid lights are pretty weak. I switched the Rigid lights out for better lights immediately after receiving my truck, but wasn’t aware I didn’t have a torsen.

I was able to order a Torsen through Ford Performance with a 20% off deal they were running. Part number M-4204- F150LS I used the ford points I earned from buying the truck and I wound up spending $204 for the torsen carrier (original price $710). I also picked up a couple of carrier bearings from ford parts for $34.83 each (part number NL3Z4220A). I called a few of my local area Ford dealerships and they all were A) uncertain if the exchange could be performed, and B) unwilling to do it. A local gear and differential shop installed it for me for $600 flat, including tax and fluids.

It works flawlessly in all driving situations thus far and all driving modes. In 2WD, it obviously feels the same while at my local Starbucks, but at the lease and while off-road, I can definitely feel a difference in 4 auto or 4H. It may be placebo, but I am more comfortable in most situations. I know that with one wheel in the air, it is equivalent to an open differential, but now I can just hit the brakes with the wheel in the air. I no longer have to worry about getting stuck while hopping the curb at the Starbucks parking or while driving across the small patch of grass.

I have been very happy with the change. I wish Ford would have been more forthright with us about the change and given us a credit like they did with the heated steering wheel, but changing it was not that difficult once I found a shop willing to do it.
I'm also one of the dpuches that expected a 90k msrp raptor to have had the torsen in it like my 2018 did. Super unhappy about it but might just buy a locker but I was curious how we're you able to get the part for so cheap is that just something they did for you or can they honer that for all 2023 Raptor owners?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm also one of the dpuches that expected a 90k msrp raptor to have had the torsen in it like my 2018 did. Super unhappy about it but might just buy a locker but I was curious how we're you able to get the part for so cheap is that just something they did for you or can they honer that for all 2023 Raptor owners?
Sounds like he used FordPass points. $710 is the normal price for the diff.

Arrowhead6R

Reaction score
I’m close to selling mine. 1k miles, and I’m irritated beyond belief with this. It just keeps adding up with all the deletes, and you top it off with price increases, it’s complete BS to the consumer.
What other deletes have you seen? I traded my 2020 for the 2023 and of course realized the lack of torsen post sale. I should have scrutinized line items better.