2022 Ford Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a reservation in. I'm not a luddite like some people are and this thing is awesome. Can power my house AND I can take it with me and power other peoples houses in a pinch? Yes please. Also, the 300 mile range is plenty enough for most purposes.

I love bleeding edge tech and this is part of that with Fords backing.

Same, I reserved 2 this morning for our shop. My boss and I are looking forward to having them as our daily work trucks, and I rarely do over 200 miles of driving in a given day so 300 is fine.

I will admit I thought the Lightning was going to have a 400 mile range since Ford has invested in Rivian for their battery tech. BUT considering the price it makes sense that it's 300.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put a reservation in. I'm not a luddite like some people are and this thing is awesome. Can power my house AND I can take it with me and power other peoples houses in a pinch? Yes please. Also, the 300 mile range is plenty enough for most purposes.

I love bleeding edge tech and this is part of that with Fords backing.
And with the federal and state tax credits, it’s going to be cheap. Win/win. I’d daily one if I had something else for long trips.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In do time other trims will certainly come. Appeal to the masses first. Do you think Ford just lost all there racing heritage? Doubt it.

I was thinking. If they went to a 400 or more mile range battery. That would certainly increase weight with that larger battery. Then you may be out of the weight limit of a half ton truck. Which I think they want to stay in. Eventually vehicles will ha e to be re-classed I think.

Also compare this Lightning truck to a dual motor mid grade Cybertruck. Specs are near identical. And love them or hate them. But Tesla is still currently the standard to build against. Ford seems to be matching up well, even the Mach-E is on par with Tesla’s offerings. Competition is a good thing.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a new energy efficient house. Because it is energy efficient, it only has 100 amp service into the house. The new lightning has an 80 amp charger. That would only leave me 20 amps to run the entire house. Seems to be a problem. I think people who buy this will find out there are a lot of extra charges to pay for and a lot of hurdles to overcome. My 2 cents.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a new energy efficient house. Because it is energy efficient, it only has 100 amp service into the house. The new lightning has an 80 amp charger. That would only leave me 20 amps to run the entire house. Seems to be a problem. I think people who buy this will find out there are a lot of extra charges to pay for and a lot of hurdles to overcome. My 2 cents.
Really? That's just silly. 200A service should be the minimum. I built a detached garage and I put 200A service in to run the opener and some lights. It gives me plenty of headroom for a charger and it cost the same.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many will just have to have some electrical service done at home. I don’t have an 80A outlet sitting free in the garage or outside. I surely wouldn’t want to charge on a 120v plug and not be able to back feed the house. It suffices for the wife’s plug in hybrid Volvo a couple of years ago, but still took 6 hours to charge that little battery. The mileage was good on it, but I liked the umph it had lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many will just have to have some electrical service done at home. I don’t have an 80A outlet sitting free in the garage or outside. I surely wouldn’t want to charge on a 120v plug and not be able to back feed the house. It suffices for the wife’s plug in hybrid Volvo a couple of years ago, but still took 6 hours to charge that little battery. The mileage was good on it, but I liked the umph it had lol
Yup. You want 220V for a charger. 110V at 20A will take forever. Five times as long as 220V at 50A, which is what you use for a dryer. You can get 100A breakers ... that would be ten times as fast. One thing I wonder about is how many cars are going to catch fire while charging and how much property damage that's going to cause. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really? That's just silly. 200A service should be the minimum. I built a detached garage and I put 200A service in to run the opener and some lights. It gives me plenty of headroom for a charger and it cost the same.
Probably part of the green new deal. New homes in Moab have to be energy efficient (2 x 6 construction, heavy insulation and so on), and so I assume they also limit the feed into the house. Since the builder didn't skimp on anything else, I assume it was in the code. When I had a plug put in for my MH, the electrician said it was the new standard. The good news is that on the last 90 degree day, my central air only ran 30 minutes to keep the house at 75 degrees, and in the winter (outside temp 20 low - 40 high), the furnace only ran 2 hours out of 24 to keep the house at 70. My cooking, dryer, hot water and furnace are on natural gas.

I get it, my MH takes 100 amps, but I think this is the new future. Limiting how much energy you can use, I guess it is so you can plug in your car. Stupid, but I don't make the rules. Just be careful when being sold a "energy efficient" electric car.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. You want 220V for a charger. 110V at 20A will take forever. Five times as long as 220V at 50A, which is what you use for a dryer. You can get 100A breakers ... that would be ten times as fast. One thing I wonder about is how many cars are going to catch fire while charging and how much property damage that's going to cause. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

True true true. If the work is done to spec and by a qualified electrician, then you should be ok. Many variables in many houses however. Who knows what may take place. I’d personally want the hottest feed to that charger to maximize charging and take advantage of the back feed from the truck if power is needed. That alone would want me to over do that particular power run and max out wire gauge for sure.