2022 Ford Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably part of the green new deal. New homes in Moab have to be energy efficient (2 x 6 construction, heavy insulation and so on), and so I assume they also limit the feed into the house. Since the builder didn't skimp on anything else, I assume it was in the code. When I had a plug put in for my MH, the electrician said it was the new standard. The good news is that on the last 90 degree day, my central air only ran 30 minutes to keep the house at 75 degrees, and in the winter (outside temp 20 low - 40 high), the furnace only ran 2 hours out of 24 to keep the house at 70. My cooking, dryer, hot water and furnace are on natural gas.

I get it, my MH takes 100 amps, but I think this is the new future. Limiting how much energy you can use, I guess it is so you can plug in your car. Stupid, but I don't make the rules. Just be careful when being sold a "energy efficient" electric car.
That’s one reason for the 100A hookup. You have half the house on gas. They built houses just like that many years ago in FL where gas was available. All major stuff was on gas and only the AC was electric, along with lighting and outlets. 100A was the service. Many that had that upgraded to 200A today and converted a lot to electric. Natural gas however works very well. These were houses built circa ‘60-80’s

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked the electrician about upgrading, but he wasn't sure if the buried lines were heavy enough. Since I didn't need to do it now, I didn't pursue it further. Hopefully they are, if I need it later.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I asked the electrician about upgrading, but he wasn't sure if the buried lines were heavy enough. Since I didn't need to do it now, I didn't pursue it further. Hopefully they are, if I need it later.
If not, hopefully that’s on your power company.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Anything is possible. I looked at a house in San Antonio. a classic 20/20 house. It looked great 20 yards away at 20mph. Interior looked really nice but obviously had been added on to. NBD, it had plenty of room, acreage, out building. Then I got there and saw the overhead service, barely 10’ off the ground, drooping badly... hey, that can’t be bigger than number 6 and even IF it’s copper that can’t be good for more than...

Yup - 80 amp service in the house. The WHOLE house. it was a flip.
I ran, not walked away.

Upgrading that place would’ve been 10k plus just in electric.
I can’t imagine trying to plug an electric vehicle into that place.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anything is possible. I looked at a house in San Antonio. a classic 20/20 house. It looked great 20 yards away at 20mph. Interior looked really nice but obviously had been added on to. NBD, it had plenty of room, acreage, out building. Then I got there and saw the overhead service, barely 10’ off the ground, drooping badly... hey, that can’t be bigger than number 6 and even IF it’s copper that can’t be good for more than...

Yup - 80 amp service in the house. The WHOLE house. it was a flip.
I ran, not walked away.

Upgrading that place would’ve been 10k plus just in electric.
I can’t imagine trying to plug an electric vehicle into that place.

You could run the washer and dryer. With no AC, refrigerator, TV and if your lucky a couple of lights lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You could run the washer and dryer. With no AC, refrigerator, TV and if your lucky a couple of lights lol
No joke! that’s what I was telling my agent. Honestly, I’d have missed it if it weren’t for the low hanging service wire. Well... I’d have missed it initially, I did electrical work in the past, so I always find the panel and check it out, look for too many loads on a circuit, weird stuff, etc.

That house was almost 3000 sq. ft. too. I can’t imagine it was cool in the summer too, only a single 5 ton unit.

So definitely not charging up a new Lightning :)

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No joke! that’s what I was telling my agent. Honestly, I’d have missed it if it weren’t for the low hanging service wire. Well... I’d have missed it initially, I did electrical work in the past, so I always find the panel and check it out, look for too many loads on a circuit, weird stuff, etc.

That house was almost 3000 sq. ft. too. I can’t imagine it was cool in the summer too, only a single 5 ton unit.

So definitely not charging up a new Lightning :)
Crazy. I’m sure they were on the cusp of something bad each summer. 5 ton may have cooled it, but 3k plus sq ft homes down here usually have split systems of ample size doing the work. And it gets hot as balls in TX!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford released more details on their $40k Pro trim level.

I think I actually like this version, perhaps better than a full scale loaded version. You lose the lightbar, which I think is an improvement. You lose the 15 in screen in favor of the 12 in, which I think is better too. I like bigger screens but I like the look of them integrated to the dash rather than a separate piece just sticking out.

Seats are vinyl, but at 40K before rebates, that's something that you could upgrade aftermarket. It shares the same interior as the normal F150, so there will be options.

You can get the extended range batteries, the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure I would. It's 230 miles vs 300 miles. Are those extra 70 miles going to make much difference typically. As well, that extra range means more batteries and more weight....which in turn means you'll need more charge time per mile. And there is also the difference in horsepower. 426 vs 563. That's significant for sure, but the heavier truck is going to have to use more HP to get the heavier truck moving. I would want to see the difference in 0-60 times rather than just HP.

Just a random thought, I wonder if Roush and the like will look at these and see an oppurtuity to brand their own version of these. Seems like their is room in the market between this base version at $40k, XLT at $53, and the top of the line at $90k

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford released more details on their $40k Pro trim level.

I think I actually like this version, perhaps better than a full scale loaded version. You lose the lightbar, which I think is an improvement. You lose the 15 in screen in favor of the 12 in, which I think is better too. I like bigger screens but I like the look of them integrated to the dash rather than a separate piece just sticking out.

Seats are vinyl, but at 40K before rebates, that's something that you could upgrade aftermarket. It shares the same interior as the normal F150, so there will be options.

You can get the extended range batteries, the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure I would. It's 230 miles vs 300 miles. Are those extra 70 miles going to make much difference typically. As well, that extra range means more batteries and more weight....which in turn means you'll need more charge time per mile. And there is also the difference in horsepower. 426 vs 563. That's significant for sure, but the heavier truck is going to have to use more HP to get the heavier truck moving. I would want to see the difference in 0-60 times rather than just HP.

Just a random thought, I wonder if Roush and the like will look at these and see an oppurtuity to brand their own version of these. Seems like their is room in the market between this base version at $40k, XLT at $53, and the top of the line at $90k
I just saw this as well and that base truck looked pretty good in the no frills trim exterior wise at least. I’m not sure if these are larger tires, or it just looks that way. If Ford can package the base Pro nicely or allow you some upgrade options, this thing will surely sell.

So both trucks surprisingly have the same TQ number. Meaning off the line and payload and towing the 230 mile truck should perform well. It has to if it’s being pushed as a work truck. I imagine the higher range/higher HP truck will just pull harder as you get going or in general as a higher HP vehicle would at the upper end. I’m thinking it could be a low 5 sec truck pretty easily and that’s basically like a stock Raptor. Ford could play with the power delivery and dial it down however.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know it’s only vinyl, but that’s the best looking work truck interior I’ve seen lol. Those seats actually look comfy. But your stuck with only a 12” screen in the base truck lol.