2022 Ford Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just saw this as well and that base truck looked pretty good in the no frills trim exterior wise at least. I’m not sure if these are larger tires, or it just looks that way. If Ford can package the base Pro nicely or allow you some upgrade options, this thing will surely sell.

So both trucks surprisingly have the same TQ number. Meaning off the line and payload and towing the 230 mile truck should perform well. It has to if it’s being pushed as a work truck. I imagine the higher range/higher HP truck will just pull harder as you get going or in general as a higher HP vehicle would at the upper end. I’m thinking it could be a low 5 sec truck pretty easily and that’s basically like a stock Raptor. Ford could play with the power delivery and dial it down however.

The Verge's article said the standard battery had towing at 7500, while the extended battery was 10,000. I did see elsewhere that both have 775 lb-ft torque. Not sure what to make of that.

I know it’s only vinyl, but that’s the best looking work truck interior I’ve seen lol. Those seats actually look comfy. But your stuck with only a 12” screen in the base truck lol.

12 in is more than enough....or so I'm told.

Regarding the vinyl, you might even want that if you have dogs or a young family that's going to mess it up. Go ahead and get something nice for the front seats, but leave vinyl in the rear that's only going to get messed up with car seats, sippy cups, and dog slobber.

One other thing is that it looks like Ford put a lot of tracking stuff in the work truck. So you could have a fleet of these things and know exactly where they are, where've they've been, how they've been drive, and how much charge is left. They said you can even allow your employees to charge at home and know exactly how much to reimburse them for the electric bill.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Verge's article said the standard battery had towing at 7500, while the extended battery was 10,000. I did see elsewhere that both have 775 lb-ft torque. Not sure what to make of that.

12 in is more than enough....or so I'm told.

Regarding the vinyl, you might even want that if you have dogs or a young family that's going to mess it up. Go ahead and get something nice for the front seats, but leave vinyl in the rear that's only going to get messed up with car seats, sippy cups, and dog slobber.

One other thing is that it looks like Ford put a lot of tracking stuff in the work truck. So you could have a fleet of these things and know exactly where they are, where've they've been, how they've been drive, and how much charge is left. They said you can even allow your employees to charge at home and know exactly how much to reimburse them for the electric bill.

Well you have to remember, with a BEV the manufacture has complete control of the vehicle now. While it can have the same amount of TQ, they may be worried towing as much as the extended battery model would drain the standard model’s batteries. Or depending on how these things are wired up, there may not be the same amount of volts/amps to power the smaller battery truck the same. Many things you can look at.

I will ignore your 12” bragging comment, as I would gamble your not quite at that level. But otherwise I will say if the 12” screen is all the hype in Fords new ice trucks, then it should be plenty good in the Lightning. How fast we forget what was just good. That 15” probably available in 70k+ trucks, in a fancy package I’m sure.

Hey everyone is going with man made seats now, so Ford is just joining the crowd and maybe or can’t be looked down at by a Tesla customer. I guess vinyl is the new leather lol. Again the Pro’s interior looked damn good and compared to old F-150 work trucks wheeew. Ford may sell a ton of these Pro’s to fleets/commercial and private purchasers a like. Remember what Henry said back in the day and who he is building vehicles for.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you have to remember, with a BEV the manufacture has complete control of the vehicle now. While it can have the same amount of TQ, they may be worried towing as much as the extended battery model would drain the standard model’s batteries. Or depending on how these things are wired up, there may not be the same amount of volts/amps to power the smaller battery truck the same. Many things you can look at.

Agreed. It's also still really early and a chance that some of the information reported isn't accurate, or subject to change.

I will ignore your 12” bragging comment, as I would gamble your not quite at that level.

The "so I'm told" was there to suggest that's the rumor...not that I've been told that personally. Wasn't bragging. Either way. I most certainly do not have first hand knowledge on the matter.

But otherwise I will say if the 12” screen is all the hype in Fords new ice trucks, then it should be plenty good in the Lightning. How fast we forget what was just good. That 15” probably available in 70k+ trucks, in a fancy package I’m sure.

To me, it's not the size of the screen so much as it looks like it's just tacked on like an after thought. In my opinion, the top of the screen should not be above the dashboard

Hey everyone is going with man made seats now, so Ford is just joining the crowd and maybe or can’t be looked down at by a Tesla customer. I guess vinyl is the new leather lol. Again the Pro’s interior looked damn good and compared to old F-150 work trucks wheeew. Ford may sell a ton of these Pro’s to fleets/commercial and private purchasers a like. Remember what Henry said back in the day and who he is building vehicles for.

I've seen some additional pics and vids and it definitely is a step down from the normal F150 interior in terms of materials. I don't think that's going to deter a lot of people who like the idea of getting a fast EV truck for 40k. I'm not sure private owners will be able to get their hands on the commercial version though.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. It's also still really early and a chance that some of the information reported isn't accurate, or subject to change.

The "so I'm told" was there to suggest that's the rumor...not that I've been told that personally. Wasn't bragging. Either way. I most certainly do not have first hand knowledge on the matter.

To me, it's not the size of the screen so much as it looks like it's just tacked on like an after thought. In my opinion, the top of the screen should not be above the dashboard

I've seen some additional pics and vids and it definitely is a step down from the normal F150 interior in terms of materials. I don't think that's going to deter a lot of people who like the idea of getting a fast EV truck for 40k. I'm not sure private owners will be able to get their hands on the commercial version though.
Just like TV’s, phones and computers, big screens are here to stay. I thought the idea of a screen protruding above the dash was going to be horrible and block your view. But most locations of these screens are equal to the height of the dash or clearly out your view of the road. So they are not really a distraction. Wrap arounds are coming to vehicles very shortly. That 15” screen will surely only exist in the higher end package and Lightning trims.

I agree, many will for go the better interiors to get a snappy EV truck for a low price. Ford would be smart to sell the Pro to as many retail buyers as they have. Tesla’s cheaper cars way outsell the higher ends. They just need to look at the trends. Even the Pro or a model up will be a great performer and optioned nicely for most.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just like TV’s, phones and computers, big screens are here to stay. I thought the idea of a screen protruding above the dash was going to be horrible and block your view. But most locations of these screens are equal to the height of the dash or clearly out your view of the road. So they are not really a distraction. Wrap arounds are coming to vehicles very shortly. That 15” screen will surely only exist in the higher end package and Lightning trims.

I don't know that big screens are here to stay. Phones is a good example. People do not always want bigger screens as they do have their drawbacks. iPhones currently come in 3 different size screens. Likewise, I think it's reasonable that 12" is actually considered be big enough for many people. Bigger screens have the drawback of not being aesthetically pleasing (to some), distracting, and taking up real estate from buttons.

I also think we'll start seeing additional screens in vehicles, rather than just the infotainment screen and gauges, will start popping up. A in-vehicle tablet(s), for example, could be very useful for items that can be controlled by passengers without 'vehicle in motion' restrictions. Would also be able to control power features from outside the vehicle with such a tablet. I somewhat expect this sort of thing to come around now that Google seems to be involved with Ford.

I agree, many will for go the better interiors to get a snappy EV truck for a low price. Ford would be smart to sell the Pro to as many retail buyers as they have. Tesla’s cheaper cars way outsell the higher ends. They just need to look at the trends. Even the Pro or a model up will be a great performer and optioned nicely for most.

There is also the aspect that it speeds up people accepting EVs as a viable option. By that I mean that most people are hesitant with EVs because they have little experience with them. If a potential buyer has experience driving one for work, they are going to be more likely to consider it for personal use.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A in-vehicle tablet(s), for example, could be very useful for items that can be controlled by passengers without 'vehicle in motion' restrictions.
I have two Ipads mounted in my Raptor. A 12" Pro for my wife and a mini for me. Mine has a split screen of Google maps and an info screen of speed, altitude and other information. They are better than the in dash nav screen.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am impressed by this vehicle and its ability to serve as a source of energy for an entire house.