2019 shocks retrofit into 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. I see some guys have installed 2019 take offs into regular f150s. Without the ecu/wiring. Does that mean the live valve shocks default to a fixed damping pattern if installed in a truck without any of the ecu/wiring?

I have a 2017 raptor and my interest is to buy cheap 2019 take offs to replace mine as they wear out. I've already replaced front and back once in my 80k miles (rears don't seem to last more than 40k and fronts around 60k) and 2017 take offs are getting harder to find on ebay now. But there are plenty of 2019 take offs so wondering if they are an option.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ZackZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. I see some guys have installed 2019 take offs into regular f150s. Without the ecu/wiring. Does that mean the live valve shocks default to a fixed damping pattern if installed in a truck without any of the ecu/wiring?

I have a 2017 raptor and my interest is to buy cheap 2019 take offs to replace mine as they wear out. I've already replaced front and back once in my 80k miles (rears don't seem to last more than 40k and fronts around 60k) and 2017 take offs are getting harder to find on ebay now. But there are plenty of 2019 take offs so wondering if they are an option.

They are an option for you but you will need to the get live valve delete kit that RPG sells. It will just revert them back to standard non live valve shocks and will work on a 17/18 raptor. The install isn’t too bad and you can you it yourself. Just need to get them refilled with nitrogen

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are an option for you but you will need to the get live valve delete kit that RPG sells. It will just revert them back to standard non live valve shocks and will work on a 17/18 raptor. The install isn’t too bad and you can you it yourself. Just need to get them refilled with nitrogen
Thanks zack, appreciate the pointer.

I watched RPGs video and it seems fairly straightforward. I'd have to find a shop nearby that can recharge the nitrogen.

Question - will the 2019 shocks offer any improvement in performance or ride quality compared to the 2017s? That's not why I'm going down this route but I'm curious.

ZackZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks zack, appreciate the pointer.

I watched RPGs video and it seems fairly straightforward. I'd have to find a shop nearby that can recharge the nitrogen.

Question - will the 2019 shocks offer any improvement in performance or ride quality compared to the 2017s? That's not why I'm going down this route but I'm curious.

They are valved slightly different but it won’t be a difference you will be able to feel most likely.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's an update. I bought live valve takeoffs with the delete kit. A few observations on how these perform on a 2017:

1. Bolt right up, no issues at all with fitment.
2. They are taller than the 2017 struts. The ride height with the live valve struts from a 2020 is the same as my ride height from 2017 WITH the 1.25" RPG collars installed. I believe the spring in live valve struts is taller - attaching part number comparison if anyone's curious.
3. They ride a little plusher/softer than my 2017s. I imagine that could also be related to not having the RPG collars that increase preload in the old struts.

Overall, a solid option for older raptor owners if you can get your hands on takeoffs.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me think through this. Appreciate it.