2019 Raptor Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calling a stupid reply stupid is about as emotional is calling water wet, a white person white, black person black, and green grass green.

It isn't the buyers responsibility to remove corrosion from the skid plate, it's something that shouldn't be there on a brand new vehicle. Especially considering it's not something tucked deep in the Bowles of the vehicle where you can't see it. To put the onus on the buyer to remove something that shouldn't be there, is again, stupid. As is claiming someone proved your point when it was actually refuted. Maybe delusional is a better description for that. This isn't an "emotional response" it's a conclusion based on observation.

lol, you really think you're right, don't you?

Tell you what, let's break this down to base elements (literally). Your point of contention is that steel shouldn't rust when exposed to a corrosion agent? That's just... well, stupid.

So what you're really saying is that between assembly, test driving, sitting in the weather awaiting shipment, actual shipment, and hitting the dealer lot... Ford is responsible for removing any harmless corrosion from your vehicle? Corrosion that's going to form again as soon as you drive it off the lot? Let me save you another emotional response: Yes, you expect that. Ok, so point me to the section in the purchase agreement you signed with your dealer stating corrosion will be removed. Oh, wait... You can't, because that's not actually a thing.

So here we have it: You're expecting a service no one has promised you, and whining about it on an Internet forum because the girls at your book club are probably tired of hearing about it. See, that's the thing about baseless expectations: They're baseless; And so are your emotionally charged "observations". So do us all a favor and fix it yourself. It's not Ford's problem, it's not the dealership's problem, it's yours. Because until you come with some facts that prove otherwise, everything you've presented is your opinion and nothing more.

But at least you've proved one thing: Feelings really can be hurt by rust. The millennial struggle is real, folks.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Tell you what, let's break this down to base elements (literally). Your point of contention is that steel shouldn't rust when exposed to a corrosion agent? That's just... well, stupid.

I stopped here because it’s clear you’re illiterate. Please find where I said or even eluded to “steel shouldn’t rust when exposed to a corrosion agent”

If you can find where I said that, I’m the idiot. If you can’t, you’re the idiot. I already know the answer to this, but this should help you identify who’s who easier. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped here because it’s clear you’re illiterate. Please find where I said or even eluded to “steel shouldn’t rust when exposed to a corrosion agent”

If you can find where I said that, I’m the idiot. If you can’t, you’re the idiot. I already know the answer to this, but this should help you identify who’s who easier. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

I suppose selectively picking what to read and not read doesn't surprise me in the least with you. Probably for the best though, since that hole you've dug is only gonna get deeper.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum is ******* retarded...... I am literally getting dumber watching grown men argue over personal opinions on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't fault you for this, and frankly I'm sorry for the role I've played. I should have known better than to get dragged into such a silly argument by one of the forum hot-heads.

OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score

So what you're really saying is that between assembly, test driving, sitting in the weather awaiting shipment, actual shipment, and hitting the dealer lot... Ford is responsible for removing any harmless corrosion from your vehicle? Corrosion that's going to form again as soon as you drive it off the lot? Let me save you another emotional response: Yes, you expect that. Ok, so point me to the section in the purchase agreement you signed with your dealer stating corrosion will be removed. Oh, wait... You can't, because that's not actually a thing.

So here we have it: You're expecting a service no one has promised you, and whining about it on an Internet forum because the girls at your book club are probably tired of hearing about it. See, that's the thing about baseless expectations: They're baseless; And so are your emotionally charged "observations". So do us all a favor and fix it yourself. It's not Ford's problem, it's not the dealership's problem, it's yours. Because until you come with some facts that prove otherwise, everything you've presented is your opinion and nothing more.

But at least you've proved one thing: Feelings really can be hurt by rust. The millennial struggle is real, folks.

I don’t see why you guys are going back and forth at each other? I started this thread to see if anyone had the same issue going on with their truck.

As far as the dealer removing the corrosion they are going to by installing new skid plates for me. I have decided to have it done with my first service.

As far as what was In the purchase agreement, that doesn’t matter. There is coverage in the warranty that deals with corrosion. So why settle?

I’m not a big fan of forums for this exact reason. It’s just a personal preference, if you don’t mind your new truck looking like it has barnacles growing underneath it so be it. I feel Ford could do a better job no matter if it’s a Raptor or a Ford Focus, corrosion should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see why you guys are going back and forth at each other? I started this thread to see if anyone had the same issue going on with their truck.

As far as the dealer removing the corrosion they are going to by installing new skid plates for me. I have decided to have it done with my first service.

As far as what was In the purchase agreement, that doesn’t matter. There is coverage in the warranty that deals with corrosion. So why settle?

I’m not a big fan of forums for this exact reason. It’s just a personal preference, if you don’t mind your new truck looking like it has barnacles growing underneath it so be it. I feel Ford could do a better job no matter if it’s a Raptor or a Ford Focus, corrosion should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you got the issue resolved to your satisfaction. It is a matter tolerance, imo. I live miles from where Raptors are assembled, and I can tell you that every pickup truck (manufacturer agnostic) around here looks like that underneath. It's never bothered me for that very reason.

And I understand you think Ford should address it at the factory. I disagree for a number of reasons (vehicle price increase being primary), but I have no issue with your input otherwise.

I never have an problem with people sharing their opinions or asking for advice. But jumping down the throat of others who don't share the same thoughts *is* what makes this forum intolerable at times.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pierceography, I have to say, I don't get the whole, "It's based on a $25,000 truck, so (fill in the blank) should be both expected and enjoyed. Maybe it's me being old, but I missed where a $25,000 vehicle should have poor build quality & shoddy QC. Having some basic quality of finish and materials shouldn't be confined to a Mclaren like you have mentioned several times.

I've gone through over a dozen Plymouth minivans for work vehicles over the years. Not a total crap car, maybe medium end on a good day, certainly very far from high end. You want to guess how many were all ****** up looking underneath on delivery? You have said in a bunch of different posts how you don't care what it looks like underneath, doesn't bother you a bit, etc, etc. That's fine for you, but you make it sound like anyone that does care is a whiny ***** and not a real he-man truck guy. If you spin your vehicles constantly, I could see not giving a crap about it, but on my personal vehicles, I tend to keep them a long time. If it's brand new, it should look new when it's delivered to me regardless if it's a $25,000 Ford truck, or a $70,000 Ford truck.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pierceography

None of my vehicles' undersides look like the OP's pic. I'd be upset if mine had been delivered in that condition. WRT his resale value, as a guy who isn't from the rust belt, if I detect what looks like road salt rust on a used vehicle... I'm moving on to the next vehicle.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pierceography, I have to say, I don't get the whole, "It's based on a $25,000 truck, so (fill in the blank) should be both expected and enjoyed. Maybe it's me being old, but I missed where a $25,000 vehicle should have poor build quality & shoddy QC. Having some basic quality of finish and materials shouldn't be confined to a Mclaren like you have mentioned several times.

I've gone through over a dozen Plymouth minivans for work vehicles over the years. Not a total crap car, maybe medium end on a good day, certainly very far from high end. You want to guess how many were all ****** up looking underneath on delivery? You have said in a bunch of different posts how you don't care what it looks like underneath, doesn't bother you a bit, etc, etc. That's fine for you, but you make it sound like anyone that does care is a whiny ***** and not a real he-man truck guy. If you spin your vehicles constantly, I could see not giving a crap about it, but on my personal vehicles, I tend to keep them a long time. If it's brand new, it should look new when it's delivered to me regardless if it's a $25,000 Ford truck, or a $70,000 Ford truck.

So I think that there are two separate points there, but both valid. If your argument is that the increase in price has not been met with a linear increase in quality, you and I are in full agreement. The price:value ratio isn't what it once was; Not even close.

On the other subject ("based on a $25,000 truck"): A buddy of mine just purchased a '19 XLT with a sticker of $55k, which is $19k below my Raptor. And there are five models above an XLT. My thoughts on the matter are that extra $19k is pretty notable (for brevity's sake, I won't get into the items that justify that increase). My point is that even the "cheap" F150s are selling for $50k+. If the delta were, hypothetically, between a $20k Focus and a $70k Focus, I think the monetary value vs expectations argument is much more palatable. But for the real world XLT vs Raptor, there are only so many improvements you can squeeze out of that extra $19k.

And apologies if I made it seem like those concerned about the corrosion were babies. I only levied that attitude against someone who started taking cheap shots. As I said, I'm glad tabs2000 was able to get his issue worked out. And as I also noted, I added a ceramic coat to my Raptor, so clearly I do believe in vanity in some regard.... Just not on the undercarriage. ;-)