2019 Raptor Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tabs2000

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and looking for an opinion on my new truck. I bought the truck new last week, it is a 2019 brand new truck. I was installing lights in the bumper and noticed all this corrosion on the mid skid plate and up on the transfer case.

I called the dealership and took it in. Their explanation was, the truck sat in the lot at the factory in a bunch of snow and it left this behind. They took it back and washed it gave it back to me and said they would keep and eye on it when I bring it in for oil changes. I was short on time so I did not want to get into a long ordeal right then. I am going to schedule an appointment to take it in and I am hoping they replace all the parts affected.

Has anyone ever seen or dealt with this? I have searched high on low on the internet and did not find anything on this type of issue.

Thank you in advance.

40794960553_d7846bdf1e_c.jpgDBFA3C56-D554-44F1-BEE7-E0ACF3D26C8E

47708739912_257667fc20_c.jpgE45B56C4-8AB1-4BAC-8065-9156FC7433A7 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/74430550@N04/

JD_27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my ‘19 had some of that crap on the transfer case, but I pressure washed it and then sprayed HDMP all over under the truck and it seems fine. My ‘black’ exhaust tips started to chip off but I just sprayed a few coats of satin and all was good again.

OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score
My black exhaust tips have grey dots all over the passenger side. I really don’t want to go through a big ordeal with the dealership. I will put it up on ramps and pressure wash it tomorrow.

Thanks, Tim

Yeah, my ‘19 had some of that crap on the transfer case, but I pressure washed it and then sprayed HDMP all over under the truck and it seems fine. My ‘black’ exhaust tips started to chip off but I just sprayed a few coats of satin and all was good again.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a question: What does the corrosion hurt? It's the underside of the truck, so you'll never see it unless you're crawling under there.

Surface rust and other forms of corrosion are common on pickups/mass produced vehicles. It will not in any way affect performance or longevity of the vehicle.

Plenty of others have treated/coated their undercarriages, but I see no point in it. Does mine have surface rust on the transfer case? Yup. Does it impact the truck's performance or look? Nope. Do I care about the rust? Not a bit.

I also highly doubt your dealership is going to replace any components with rust/corrosion under warranty, because what you've described is expected.

OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score
What does the corrosion hurt, possibly the resale value later down the line? It is also frustrating to have just spent the kind of money I spent and have this underneath the truck. It is more than rust, it is blisters of corrosion on the mid skid plate and a few other parts.

At the very least I am going to have the dealer put it up on a lift again and pull the skidplates off to see deeper into the truck to be sure none of the cases have this going on.

Seartrip

Reaction score
Tabs2k- I sympathize. While it may not "hurt" anything per se, I also wouldn't want my new vehicle to come in that condition. That said, my truck sat for a bit before I received it and my underside looks nothing like that. My skids were practically perfect. Those corrosion spots are deep, and I'm having trouble thinking regular salt or outdoor exposure did that. Now the regular rust and corrosion on the transfer case and trans, etc., is pretty normal. I have it, too, and I don't worry about it. But for your skids I'd at least ask to have them replaced. Worst case you take them off, strip them, and have them painted or LineX'd. But again, why should you have to go through the hassle? Good luck...

Raptorman19

Reaction score
This has been brought up a few different times now on the 2019 trucks. Mine looks just like yours.

Last edited:

ShadowViper

Reaction score
There is a few threads on this. I pointed it out to a dealer here in socal and they were shocked as the truck just came in a few days earlier.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the corrosion hurt, possibly the resale value later down the line? It is also frustrating to have just spent the kind of money I spent and have this underneath the truck. It is more than rust, it is blisters of corrosion on the mid skid plate and a few other parts.

At the very least I am going to have the dealer put it up on a lift again and pull the skidplates off to see deeper into the truck to be sure none of the cases have this going on.

The skid plate shouldn't have a ton of corrosion on it, so that one is worth looking into more if it's beyond a reasonable amount. The rest of it seems fairly expected.

I wouldn't worry too much about resale. That's not the underside of a Porsche or McLaren... It's a truck. There are definitely a lot of people on this forum who expect Raptors to be held to the same standards as high-end sports cars. But it's a pickup truck that came off the same line as the truck the guy who cuts your grass hauls his zero turns around with.

Trust me, I can be plenty OCD about this sort of stuff, and while it's not an inexpensive vehicle, I ultimately need to remind myself it is, at its base, just a pickup truck. I've decided to go have fun in it rather than sweat the little things.

Though do let us know what happens with the skid plate.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sh*ts and giggles, I just walked outside and took a look at the undercarriage of my truck. Looks pretty much the same as yours, including the skid plate. First time I've noticed, and doesn't bother me in the least.