2019 Raptor Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score
I am going to make an appointment next week and see if I can get at least the skid plate replaced. Like Seatrip stated why should it be my issue? It is not up to par with it being a new vehicle, I am thinking having the skid plate replaced will not be an issue. I will let everyone know what happens.

For sh*ts and giggles, I just walked outside and took a look at the undercarriage of my truck. Looks pretty much the same as yours, including the skid plate. First time I've noticed, and doesn't bother me in the least.

Raptorman19

Reaction score
Ford took my first truck back and ordered a new one. Almost identical in the amount of rust and corrosion.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw on a Camaro forum what seemed like a reasonable explanation of how a vehicle ends up like that. It got heavily salted on the delivery trailer while it was new on it's way to the dealer. I have to say, i don't get the whole, "It's a truck, shit happens", explanation. It is not too much to expect that metal parts have some kind of reasonable coating so they don't begin to oxidize on their way to a dealer. I know several of the Camaro guys refused delivery and re-ordered because everything in the engine bay and underneath looked like it had been parked on the ocean's edge for a few months. Every Camaro that came like that was a winter delivery.

Maybe if you spin your vehicles constantly you don't care, but I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, so I do care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score
That makes complete sense and I am with you I kept my Gen 1 raptor for 8 years in fact it’s parked right next to my new one and it has less corrosion on it. I am going to take it in this week I was reading the warranty and it sounds like it’s covered.

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 looked just as bad. It was built in February and I was at the dealership when they unloaded it. The corrosion seems to confined to the middle of the underside. It's not like it was driven in the salt since there is none in the wheel wells. I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced 2 skid plates. I am still not happy about all that corrosion. Not on a brand new truck.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see trucks full of brand new cars being hauled up and down I75 all winter exposed to salt spray for hundreds of miles. None of that is ever cleaned off. They get hauled at all kinds of angles too, some some pitched up or down to fully exposed the underside of the truck.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change today and was amazed to see all the stuff on the underside, especially the mid skid plate. Tried to scrub it clean; hit it with a pressure washer but didnt help much.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabs2000

tabs2000

Reaction score
Did my first oil change today and was amazed to see all the stuff on the underside, especially the mod skid plate. Tried to scrub it clean; hit it with a pressure washer but didnt help much.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I hear you I was shocked to see all this under my truck. At first I was kinda OK with it but the more I think about it I am going to push the issue and see if I can't get it fixed.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can use alumabrite or aluminum brightener

Used for polished/bare AL parts truckers & marine guys especially. It is an acid essentially need to dilute in water spray on bare al let the chemical reaction take place then rinse w/ fresh water- you need to be careful where you spray it especially if not well diluted and don’t let it sit on something to long before rinsing. You should rough up the surface w/ nylon brush & a lol soapy water first of oxidization is heavy

Let air dry or use air hose to get real dry then can either mist w/ something like HDMP or you can even use automotive clear in a spray can

A little “bar keepers friend” powdered metal cleaner & some water is a good way to clean oxidized/corroded metal undercarriage parts too before treating w/ something else.