2019 Hard Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NVK16

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 w/ 26K and have noticed that it shifts rough between 3-5 and 7-8 in normal driving mode. I did notice in sport mode it was more pronounced. This is my 1st truck as I have been a German performance car owner for the last 20years and the ride is obviously much different.

Any advice on what I am experiencing. Normal or something that needs attention?

Anything else I should know or be aware of?

Thank you!

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem is not unique. Many people experience some variation of hard or sloppy shifting, especially in the ranges you note. Best bet is to take it to the dealer with the complaint. They will likely perform a TSB that clears the adaptive learning tables and flashes the module that controls the transmission. For many people this helps. For some it does not. Good luck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It really depends on your interpretation of a “rough” shift. Being a truck that is designed to tow and haul, it is normal to feel the shifts between gears. It is much different from a light duty application such as a car, where the shifts may be imperceptible.

Note that the transmission will also adapt to the way the vehicle is driven. If the previous owner drove the vehicle aggressively, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) would have adjusted the shifts for that kind of driving. There is no TSB for any shifting issues on 2019 models. However, the dealer can clear the KAM, which resets the adaptive shift tables. The TCM will then re-learn the shift strategy based on your driving.