2018 Master Cylinder Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcampo

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor with 33k miles. Driving on local roads and approaching a red light I could feel the brake pedal get soft. Next light I had to pump brakes to stop effectively and once stopped the pedal slowly pushed towards floor.

I immediately took truck to dealer and am being told that FORD claims this is a "normal characteristic of the truck"

On line there is plenty of information around Fords issue and a major recall that was done on earlier models of F150's with the 3.5 liter engines. My understanding is that the same Hitachi units that were recalled are still being used by ford and are in all of our Raptors.

So bottom line, the truck is not safe to drive and FORD will not repair under warranty.

Has anyone had this issue and were you able to get ford to pay for fix?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Next light I had to pump brakes to stop effectively and once stopped the pedal slowly pushed towards floor.

I immediately took truck to dealer and am being told that FORD claims this is a "normal characteristic of the truck"

Ask to have a technician drive the truck to replicate. they tend to have low tolerance for putting their lives at risk. I’ll bet the tune changes.

Wheelz96

Reaction score
Do you have any brake fluid leaks? Are you having to top off brake fluid? You obviously have air somewhere in the system but how do you know it's the mc?

This is a serious risk and impacts your safety as well as other drivers. Dealership saying this is a normal characteristic is a lawsuit all day!

Brakes are a relatively simple system and should not be hard find issue by any certified mechanic. This will not get better in time only worse. I'd like to know what the issue is and hope to hear this gets resolved (under warranty) quickly for you, and for all of us on the road!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
There's no way you should have to pump your brakes to get it to stop properly and if that's what the told you after hearing your complaint, as long as you mentioned having to pump your brakes to stop, and they didn't want to look at it is something I'd take to the owner of the Dealership.

Now I really hate having to go to the owner but some idiot would be causing the Dealership a huge liability issue if your brakes were to fail and get people hurt or killed.