GEN 2 2018 3-4 shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowyellow

Reaction score
I've got an 18' with 70K miles and it's been tuned by goosetuned. COBB TCM tune included. Now it did this before the tune, so I think that is not a part of the problem. And when the TCM was flashed, it went away for a while, but it's back.

It's always on the 3-4 shift, and every now and then a couple of the other gears, but nothing worth mentioning. When I'm just driving like normal, real easy, that 3-4 shift, the truck falls on it's face during the shift. But if I drive with any level of aggressiveness then it shifts fine. It doesn't matter if the transmission is warm or not. I understand there are idiosyncrasy of the 10 speed, I get it, but I don't think this is one of them.

My thought processes are: Either it has "learned" this behavior based on my driving style, or I have a transmission issue. The part where it shifts just fine if I push it a little, makes me believe (hope) that it's the former, vice the latter. It's been like this since I bought the truck, 20K miles ago, and it hasn't gotten worse. Except when I flashed the new TCM tune and it went away. But from when I bought it, to how it is now, it's the same.

Any insight into this would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s a characteristic of the transmission to have a slight hesitation between 3rd and 4th gear when cold; it typically subsides as transmission temperature increases. If yours it doing it with the transmission up to full operating temperature you may want to contact your tuner and see what they can do.

OP
OP
slowyellow

slowyellow

Reaction score
It’s a characteristic of the transmission to have a slight hesitation between 3rd and 4th gear when cold; it typically subsides as transmission temperature increases. If yours it doing it with the transmission up to full operating temperature you may want to contact your tuner and see what they can do.
It's a goosetune, I can reach out to him, but he didn't do anything with the transmission so I'm not sure if he could recommend anything. Do you think it'd be worthwhile to switch tunes, i.e. reflash the TCM and see if it goes away? Seems like a process of eliminations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowyellow

slowyellow

Reaction score
What Cobb TCM tune are you running?
I forget which one, but I think that it's the more aggressive Cobb one. I tried the others and it would still do it. But it was a concern of mine when I got the truck tuned, and Winfield told me to try out the Cobb ones, that they were actually pretty good and to not potentially "waste" money on his custom TCM calibration. The one that I finally selected, got rid of the issue, so I was happy. But it's started doing it again over the past few thousand miles.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try resetting the trans Keep Alive Memory from your access port see if it relearns.

OP
OP
slowyellow

slowyellow

Reaction score
I would try resetting the trans Keep Alive Memory from your access port see if it relearns.
Just looked it up. I'll do that soon and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the reply, hopefully that's it. And if it is, is there anyway to keep it from happening again? I'd obviously prefer to just reset that every now and then vice it being something broken.

OP
OP
slowyellow

slowyellow

Reaction score
Just went out and reset the KAM, that was it. Drives like normal now. No stumble with the 3-4 shift. Is there a way to keep it from happening or do I just need to reset the KAM whenever it starts happening? Thank you so much for the guidance, glad it's figured out.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just adapts to your driving try driving it “differently” than normal for the first 100 miles or so see if that will do the trick.