2017 Ten Speed Tranny hard shifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyMtRaptor

Reaction score
Just test drove a 2017 with 20,000 plus miles. great condition. noticed it shifted harder than I expected. Drove it in Drive and Manual (2wd). Granted it was a short test drive. Not concerned about it, but I was surprised out how noticeable it was.

and the lag in first gear acceleration was more than I thought it would be. (I previously owned a 2015 F-150 eco 3.5)

Is this to be expected. Or, is this an issue Ford improved in latter models...2019 plus?

Thanks
Brian

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
’17’s had a TSB if I recall correctly to address harsh shifting and the shifting strategy.

A short test drive doesn’t tell you enough about the truck to be familiar with it. I’d say if you’re interested go back with the premise of a longer drive. harsh shifting can manifest randomly.

I’m not sure about the lag in acceleration you’re describing but... in eco mode ( normal is what Ford calls the default drive mode ) the truck is very lazy unless you floor it. it’s very hesitant to downshift and part throttle is an exercise in futility. Pedal Commanders are a common remedy. Again I think the transmission strategy update for the ’17 did wonders for my truck.

OP
OP
R

RockyMtRaptor

Reaction score
Thanks smurfslayer:
Definitely plan to drive more. Hope to take out a 2019 as well to compare suspensions.

I'll look into the TSB you mentioned.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) If the trans isnt up to temp it will shift rather harsh.
2) If you had it in sport mode, It will hold gears longer and shift firmer. So If you where in sport mode that could explain it.
3) As Smurfslayer mentioned, There is a TSB out to fix harsh shifting.
Good Luck!

tsb_18_2079.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just test drove a 2017 with 20,000 plus miles. great condition. noticed it shifted harder than I expected. Drove it in Drive and Manual (2wd). Granted it was a short test drive. Not concerned about it, but I was surprised out how noticeable it was.

and the lag in first gear acceleration was more than I thought it would be. (I previously owned a 2015 F-150 eco 3.5)

Is this to be expected. Or, is this an issue Ford improved in latter models...2019 plus?

Thanks
Brian

As @smurfslayer and @Antho mentioned, there is a TCM (Transmission Control Module) calibration update for 2017 models and a separate TCM update for 2018 models.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that the transmission has adaptive tables that learn the driver's behavior. If the previous owner drove the truck hard (heavy throttle, aggressive braking, etc) the TCM will learn that behavior and adapt to it. The purpose of that learning strategy is not only to anticipate the driver's behavior, but to protect the transmission from abuse. Harsh shifts are a common result of aggressive driving behavior.

To eliminate the previous owner's adapted strategy, have the dealer reset Keep Alive Memory (KAM) with IDS. It may drive awkwardly for a while, but as it learns your driving habits it will smooth out.

OP
OP
R

RockyMtRaptor

Reaction score
now this is some great information. So helpful. I was hoping to keep in the $40 grand range, and love the Avalanche color. Thus, my pursuit of a 2017. This renews my confidence. That said, the classic, "newer is better" voice keeps telling me to get a 2019 with the new live shocks and tech.

1st world problems. Thanks to all.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Lucille is a ’17 MY and had over 100 miles on the clock thanks to Ford doing extra QA. They left me the punch list and did a quite a bit. Still, that TSB is legit. i used to absolutely HATE eco mode (normal). The truck would constantly hold 10th gear too long, wouldn’t downshift to accelerate. Post update, she downshifts nicely, even to match rpms on its own when you’re slowing. It’s not quite to my preference but it was a significant improvement in both shift quality, willingness to shift, better strategy and although I can’t prove this, I really feel the shifts are just a tick quicker now.

All Raptors are good trucks.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to have the transmission reprogrammed a couple times on my 2017 lariat. shifts were very harsh...after the second time it seemed to be good to go.

5,000 miles on our 19 Raptor and the only shifting issue I’ve noticed is a the occasional hard 4-5 shift in normal mode.