Transmission shifting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndFord

Reaction score
Hi All,
2018, ordered myself so obviously first owner. Just passed 40K miles. Dealer serviced since new. Already had the cam phaser repair. That's been the only major issue, other than a broken moonroof track repair and then later a re-programing of moonroof that refused to stay closed.

Transmission acted up yesterday. I read everything I could on FRF pertaining to transmission problems but did not see my circumstances discussed. Most posted issues related to park-into-drive, or random downshifting from highest gears down to 3rd.

Driving yesterday at moderate highway speeds (50-60 MPH) with numerous stoplights. With mild acceleration on green lights it seemed to slip/stutter or try to do multiple shifts in 5th and 6th gears. Tried to ignore it and got on the Interstate. Then while trying to cross over a small "mountain" (this is New Jersey, not Colorado.... Jugtown Mountain on I-78 near PA if you're familiar) it just had no power and shifted erratically. Halfway up the "hill" I got the Wrench Icon on the screen, indicating nothing specific but pointing toward a 4WD or power train issue. Pulled off at the rest stop, cycled the transfer case, wrench icon disappeared. Afraid to continue on the trip I turned around and headed home.

Wasn't shifting properly on the way home (15-20 miles max). No power if trying to accelerate hard.

This was Friday 7/9/21. My dealer can't even take a look-see until Fri 7/16/21, that sucks.

So my question is does this mean it's absolutely a mechanical failure of some sort, or (hopefully) just some sort of computer re-boot?

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I am in sport mode and shifting manually, sometimes the transmission hangs in sixth gear.
You can imagine how difficult it would be to start accelerating from a traffic light while in sixth gear.
Ironically! Restarting the car remedies this immediately.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your spark plugs are worn . Was your check engine light flashing? when it was sputtering / acting up?. Flashing CEL light means missfire

RustyR

Reaction score
Hi All,
2018, ordered myself so obviously first owner. Just passed 40K miles. Dealer serviced since new. Already had the cam phaser repair. That's been the only major issue, other than a broken moonroof track repair and then later a re-programing of moonroof that refused to stay closed.

Transmission acted up yesterday. I read everything I could on FRF pertaining to transmission problems but did not see my circumstances discussed. Most posted issues related to park-into-drive, or random downshifting from highest gears down to 3rd.

Driving yesterday at moderate highway speeds (50-60 MPH) with numerous stoplights. With mild acceleration on green lights it seemed to slip/stutter or try to do multiple shifts in 5th and 6th gears. Tried to ignore it and got on the Interstate. Then while trying to cross over a small "mountain" (this is New Jersey, not Colorado.... Jugtown Mountain on I-78 near PA if you're familiar) it just had no power and shifted erratically. Halfway up the "hill" I got the Wrench Icon on the screen, indicating nothing specific but pointing toward a 4WD or power train issue. Pulled off at the rest stop, cycled the transfer case, wrench icon disappeared. Afraid to continue on the trip I turned around and headed home.

Wasn't shifting properly on the way home (15-20 miles max). No power if trying to accelerate hard.

This was Friday 7/9/21. My dealer can't even take a look-see until Fri 7/16/21, that sucks.

So my question is does this mean it's absolutely a mechanical failure of some sort, or (hopefully) just some sort of computer re-boot?
I'm having the same issue with my 2018 Raptor, 42k miles. Just started today, very frustrating. Really bad erratic shifting, no power in lower gears. Wondering if I should have it towed to dealer?