2017 SCrew 53,000 Miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a 2017 Raptor with 53,000 miles on it. It’s loaded. It also has ADD front and rear bumpers, exhaust, a Cold air intake, a retractable bed cover, and Method Wheels with aggressive tires. (previous owner didn’t replace the spare it’s still stock a stock wheel and K02.) I test drove it today and it has a hard shift from park to drive. It’s a very noticeable thunk. It shift very nice through the gears while driving it. It didn’t have any leaks from the transmission area. I did notice some oil around the oil pan area on the passenger side of the engine. Was not sure if that was just from oil changes or if the plastic oil pan might be an issue on this truck. The aftermarket exhaust on this truck has a noticeable tick around the passenger side bed area. I couldn’t visually tell where the leak might be coming from, but the tick was definitely not from the engine bay.

The drive was not bad... I have not driven a Raptor that had a more aggressive and noisy tire on it before. I could feel slight vibration from the tires on the test drive. The tires are Cooper Discover STT Pro 315/70 R17. If anyone has any insight about this tire please let me know what your experience has been with them.

I’m really wanting to get into a Raptor, but the prices of 2019’s + are just too high. 2017 and 2018 are not too bad, but some of those are being asked for at some higher prices as well. I feel like this one is not bad, but with it being a 12/16 manufactured truck, I’m just not sure if this is the one. I also have the wife factor, meaning she doesn’t want me to buy a truck with 53,000 miles on it, but she also doesn’t want me to buy an expensive truck....

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I do go with this Raptor, I would most likely return the front and rear bumpers back to stock if possible, and get a different bed cover that doesn’t take up room like this retractable one does.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The oil pan drain plug is on the passenger side, seems like I read somewhere the gasket of entire plug may be single use, I may be wrong. I've changed my own oil with the same plug/gasket 6 times since new. No drips on the driveway, but I haven't looked at the pan really. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some oil hanging out up there. Changing the oil can be a messy proposition.

There is a TSB for the early trannies, for weird shifting. Mine will slam into drive every every once in a while. Usually not repeatable in a short time period though. I would chalk that up to normal. Search on how to reset the shift learning using forscan, that helps mine for about 6 months or so.

No idea on the exhaust tick, maybe go back and get make a video and put your phone up to the area you think it's coming from and post it up.

These trucks do make some odd ticks until fully warmed up. Mine go away after driving a few minutes, can't hear from the inside anyway. Maybe the exhaust tubing is grounding out on the frame or something.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I test drove it today and it has a hard shift from park to drive. It’s a very noticeable thunk

normal. park to drive or reverse to drive is a bit ... rough. It’s at truck, not a Lincoln.

I did notice some oil around the oil pan area on the passenger side of the engine.

I’d be concerned about this enough to drill down on it, because it won’t be a simple / quick fix, and there are legion of reports of repeat repair attempts on the leaking plastic pans. that is to say, if you have the leak, good luck getting a stealership tech to repair it right the first time.

The aftermarket exhaust on this truck has a noticeable tick around the passenger side bed area. I couldn’t visually tell where the leak might be coming from, but the tick was definitely not from the engine bay.

It’s pretty tough to get the pipes to mate properly without the use of a B.F.H. A LOT of B.F.H. look for a joint with some residue around it.

I could feel slight vibration from the tires on the test drive

This is a hard pass for me. You have both wheels and tires at play here and I don’t like chasing down other people’s problems. If you have the patience to troubleshoot annoying suspension issues, God love you, you’re a better man than me. It could be balance, tire out of round, bent wheel, run out, or something more serious.

Good luck.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 2017 Raptor with 53,000 miles on it. It’s loaded. It also has ADD front and rear bumpers, exhaust, a Cold air intake, a retractable bed cover, and Method Wheels with aggressive tires. (previous owner didn’t replace the spare it’s still stock a stock wheel and K02.) I test drove it today and it has a hard shift from park to drive. It’s a very noticeable thunk. It shift very nice through the gears while driving it. It didn’t have any leaks from the transmission area. I did notice some oil around the oil pan area on the passenger side of the engine. Was not sure if that was just from oil changes or if the plastic oil pan might be an issue on this truck. The aftermarket exhaust on this truck has a noticeable tick around the passenger side bed area. I couldn’t visually tell where the leak might be coming from, but the tick was definitely not from the engine bay.

The drive was not bad... I have not driven a Raptor that had a more aggressive and noisy tire on it before. I could feel slight vibration from the tires on the test drive. The tires are Cooper Discover STT Pro 315/70 R17. If anyone has any insight about this tire please let me know what your experience has been with them.

I’m really wanting to get into a Raptor, but the prices of 2019’s + are just too high. 2017 and 2018 are not too bad, but some of those are being asked for at some higher prices as well. I feel like this one is not bad, but with it being a 12/16 manufactured truck, I’m just not sure if this is the one. I also have the wife factor, meaning she doesn’t want me to buy a truck with 53,000 miles on it, but she also doesn’t want me to buy an expensive truck....

It does not sound like you are fully into this particular truck. I would pass on it and also wait for the COVID inflation pricing to subside.... it will soon. Once that happens, prices will get back to reality and the new version will be more attractive. Definitely wait it out. You will find here that the 17-mid 18 builds had the plastic oil pan which was a leaker. Ford changed back to a metal pan to stop the issue (not an easy swap aftermarket from plastic to metal). Also look at the cam phaser issue (cold start rattle) since the updated parts didn't arrive until late 2019. I think 2020 trucks might have the latest part number, so just something to be aware of.

OP
OP
MarkM98

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normal. park to drive or reverse to drive is a bit ... rough. It’s at truck, not a Lincoln.

I’d be concerned about this enough to drill down on it, because it won’t be a simple / quick fix, and there are legion of reports of repeat repair attempts on the leaking plastic pans. that is to say, if you have the leak, good luck getting a stealership tech to repair it right the first time.

It’s pretty tough to get the pipes to mate properly without the use of a B.F.H. A LOT of B.F.H. look for a joint with some residue around it.

This is a hard pass for me. You have both wheels and tires at play here and I don’t like chasing down other people’s problems. If you have the patience to troubleshoot annoying suspension issues, God love you, you’re a better man than me. It could be balance, tire out of round, bent wheel, run out, or something more serious.

Good luck.

Im not wanting chase down problem's that's for sure...

It does not sound like you are fully into this particular truck. I would pass on it and also wait for the COVID inflation pricing to subside.... it will soon. Once that happens, prices will get back to reality and the new version will be more attractive. Definitely wait it out. You will find here that the 17-mid 18 builds had the plastic oil pan which was a leaker. Ford changed back to a metal pan to stop the issue (not an easy swap aftermarket from plastic to metal). Also look at the cam phaser issue (cold start rattle) since the updated parts didn't arrive until late 2019. I think 2020 trucks might have the latest part number, so just something to be aware of.

Thats the hard part for me is waiting this out... Last year I should have jumped on one of the lower mile 2018 Raptor that was right around the price this 2017 is at and it was stock.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to pass on this one and hope the prices of the trucks start to go down soon.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not wanting chase down problem's that's for sure...

Thats the hard part for me is waiting this out... Last year I should have jumped on one of the lower mile 2018 Raptor that was right around the price this 2017 is at and it was stock.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to pass on this one and hope the prices of the trucks start to go down soon.

Waiting it out should be the easy part - you do not want to spend your hard earned money on a problem(s).

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cooper Discover STT Pro mud tires have a known vibration to them and never keep balance well. I have heard that from both the tire shops and had a couple of friends run them, one even gave them to his brother for his truck (his brother didn't care about vibration, he doesn't drive it enough to care). I always run mud tires on my rigs and currently have TOYO MTs studded for winter, and now have a new set of General Grabber X3 muds for my 2018 SCREW.
When I was shopping last month to find new mud tires for mine, the main tire shop I go to said if went with the STT Pros they would not honor the free lifetime balancing nor offer any warranty other than the manufacturer warranty. I ended up with the Generals because apparently 35x12.5R17 in 10-ply E rated mud tires are out of stock everywhere, so I went with what was available-I needed to get the studded tires off.