2017 F-150 Raptor - Owner first impressions and review thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tnx guys....Also, I put my first 700mi on it this weekend. Drove the back country rds of PA. Very narrow, steep hills and winding roads, Also included about 250mi of to & from highway driving.
Likes……….
Drives comfortable
Great driving view, nice and high
Adaptive cruise is awesome
Comfort steering mode is my preference ( other modes seem to fight me with under-steer at winding rds)
Lots of power
Looks good

Dislikes……….
Loud hissing sound during acceleration. (turbos spooling?) loud enough that I hear it inside. (normal?)
DRL are only low beams
Start stop sucks
Have to use touch screen a lot more than I thought to change different media modes and won’t show any media info when using full view Nav. No seek buttons on steering wheel
Cannot read messages while driving only the "hear" option and it’s hard to understand
Fake engine sound makes me think engine is running rough or out of tune, sounds fine outside.

btkeenan

Reaction score
If the 1st gen raptor was a shirt and jeans, this is a suit and tie

Some photos of my truck and my buddies new raptor before it goes under the knife with a full ADD setup (bumpers, side skirts, rear rack).

4E8NCs0.jpg HLHnpwO.jpg nOosodH.jpg

Having put a few hundred miles on the new one,

Pros:
Power increase is noticeable
Cabin noise. It is eerily quiet at highway speeds. Was expecting more noise from the exhaust/tires/wind but it is now more on par with a Mercedes. Sound screen windshield probably has a lot to do with this as the previous gen didn't have this but makes longer trips that much more enjoyable.
Cabin quality and seats are top notch. The materials and fit and finish is next level over my truck. Everything from the aux switches clicking to the button feels is overall much nicer.
360 degree camera. Makes parking much easier than the 13 and can be accessed easily with the dash button. Also there are 2 buttons just below the light switch on the left of the steering wheel which activate 2 LED lights that face outward on either mirror which illuminates the sides. Makes you feel like a cop searching for someone under 10 MPH.
Increased mpg. Getting about 14.2 average combined with about 70% city, 30% highway.
Sync 3. Significant improvement over the **** that was sync 2. Quick and easy menus and a lot faster. Apple carplay is also nice.
Pano sunroof. Very cool feature late at night when its clear out
Switching to 2h to any of the 4h modes. If you go into baja mode for instance on the freeway it'll switch from 2h to 4h while going 70mph. Didn't think this was possible but it did without issue.

Cons:
Exhaust. Not a fan personally. FeHave thesized. I have yet to get that grin I getop on it in my 13. It would probably be better with an exhaust so will have to wait and see what the aftermarket world provides.
Stock floor mats. While this may not bother some, the stock ones seem to show and attract more dirt than the SVT ones in the 13. Truck has about 1k miles on it and it looks like they were buried in the Sahara. Weathertech ones should negate this but still something to consider when you want to show this off.
Cost to add tailgate step after the fact. Seems kind of ridiculous but to add the tailgate step is going to cost about 5k. Seems like ford would easily be able to just sell the components to insert the pieces into the existing tailgate instead of having to replace it.
Gearing. The 10 speed while novel, is slow at times. If you get on it when in 10th is switches to 6th then down to 4th and then down to 3rd and then you’re off. It’s very strange as it goes gear hunting quite a bit. Less so in sport mode as it will hold the gears especially when going downhill which was interesting. Not sure if an aftermarket tune would solve this issue or an update from Ford directly.

Overall a step in the right direction for the raptor series. Still can't believe that Chevy/Dodge/Toyota have yet to come out with a direct competitor.

Side note, would like to see someone shoehorn the GT350 motor or even the 5.0 into one of these because a V8 never hurt anyone.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Have to use touch screen a lot more than I thought to change different media modes and won’t show any media info when using full view Nav. No seek buttons on steering wheel

I had this issue too. You do have a limited ‘seek’ or increment within preset range on the wheel. Right side; left / right arrows cycle through the presets selected. Use the “media” button on the stereo to switch to the next 6 presets and cycle through them. Or, you can voice select a known preset like
‘select hair nation’ or ‘select blues alley’ or whatever it’s called.

Not perfect, and there’s def. room for improvement but livable.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get your wish!

Correct, with all of the pipelines trump is building we're gonna need a new mandatory Made in USA v8 CAFE standard. Throw in some electric and boo ya.

"All new half ton trucks must be Turbocharged v8s, that are activated when their Tesla battery packs are depleted (200 miles)"

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Correct, with all of the pipelines trump is building we're gonna need a new mandatory Made in USA v8 CAFE standard. Throw in some electric and boo ya.

"All new half ton trucks must be Turbocharged v8s, that are activated when their Tesla battery packs are depleted (200 miles)"

Meh. External combustion is where it’s at. Sure, I won’t have any cargo space in the bed and my fuel consumption will be astronomical and of course it won’t sound like a V8. It will however make a lot of thrust.

MostSecretAgentMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent the day at Hidden Falls park in Texas.

I don't really have any con's to the truck. I have no hangup's like most members here on the exhaust note, start stop, whatever.

The truck is just amazing to drive and on trails... couldn't stop smiling.

The trails in this park get pretty intense. I stayed on level's 1-3. Level 3 they say require some modifications while 4-5 you cannot go on without 2 trucks, 37's etc.

I started the week off wondering how I can protect the paint, keep it clean... ended with today not caring when branches brushed the sides or my cab completely covered in dirt/dust because I had every glass that could open, opened.

Kept the truck in sport and 4H. Tried mud/sand but didn't feel right... probably cause there was no mud or sand here. Didn't try Baja because this park was to technical... at least the trails I was on.

I have a little over 1700 miles in less than a month and I couldn't be happier. Worth the wait, worth the price, worth it stock.

Attachments

• 20170218_130908.jpg
    20170218_130908.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 20170218_130917.jpg
    20170218_130917.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 20170218_141051.jpg
    20170218_141051.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20170218_141613.jpg
    20170218_141613.jpg