2016 [2017*] Raptor test mule spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're smoking crack if you think Ford is dropping a V8 engine totally from the market for trucks. Just because they're strongly supporting a V6 and ecoboost market, doesn't mean their eliminating the V8 market totally. They may be selling 60% of f150's with V6's, but the other 40% are V8's, and they aren't just going to willy nilly say "ah we don't mind losing 40% of our sales of one of our most successful vehicle lineups ever, lets hug a tree and cut 40% of our truck sales". The 6.2 may be gone but it doesn't mean they won't put an appropirate engine in a Gen 2 Raptor. With the truck shedding a considerable amount of weight from an aluminum body, plus more weight going from an oddball iron block big bore 2v 6.2 to an aluminum block 4v smaller V8, the power to weight ratio will probably be even better than a 6.2 in our heavy trucks and wipe the floor with ours.

And guess what, they ran a 3.5 Ecoboost in the baja what 2 years ago, and that never made it into the 13 or 14 Raptors. Just because they ran the 2.7 EB in baja doesn't mean it's going in the Raptor. It just shows it was an excellent torture test to show what the engine could stand up to. Not necessarily that it's the next Raptor powertrain.

CAFE....do you know what the "A" in that stands for? Clue, you mentioned it in your post above......AVERAGE. That's not average for every single vehicle average city/hwy mileage....the "C" stands for CORPORATE average. The average of the corporate fleet of vehicles needs to meet that standard. So a low volume 2016 Raptor could get a ****** 12 mpg, so long as a high volume fiesta gets 40 mpg, and they can still meet their CAFE standards. Just because the CAFE standard may be 28.8 doesn't mean the Raptor needs to meet it. The corporate average needs to meet it.

That's another reason everyone should be estatic Ford is making a 2.7 Ecoboost, and has a ton of trucks with the 3.5 Ecoboost. That's helping them meet the CAFE standards, giving margin on what powertrains they can put into the GT350/GT500/Raptor/Etc. If Ford dropped all the ecoboost stuff, and only made V8 trucks and no V6's, their CAFE would take a huge hit, and the 6.2 would have died long ago or been so robbed of power with emissions and fuel economy regulations, that it wouldn't be putting out 411 hp.

Cars and trucks have different regs, so you're wrong on that. A Fiesta sale will have no impact on the CAFE regulations on trucks.

Also, you didn't read my post well because I suggested that they might bring the Ranger back to help balance the numbers. So your "average" rant was a moot point. Please read a post more clearly before you decide to comment.

Now let's talk about the 1/3 of your post that is actually relevant to this debate:

If you don't think we will see an EcoBoost in a Raptor, possibly the Gen3, then you're in fantasy land. Because we're headed in that direction..... And yes, it will still make the hp and torque #'s of the 6.2 without the weight.

This isn't me playing devil's advocate, this is happening all around us with all auto manufacturers. Just open up your eyes and look what everyone else is doing and you will understand that Ford isn't going to face stiff penalties to appease some cajoling clientele. They are going to do what is within their legal bindings and give us the best of a balanced ratio, and that certainly means scaling the displacement back on these motors. Just watch. ;-)

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No it will be a street legal golf cart, that gets 100 mpg and fits in the bed. :)

Like this?

3avuru3y.jpg

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All I will say on this subject is this:

When I bought this truck I knew without question this would be my son's truck! (He's 5) This is the best truck ever built! Period!

However - if they come out with this:

40769d1390576339-2015-f150-website-leaked-02b295a29123839bf11f68ac16df3e44.jpg

My trucks going bye-bye and I'm getting a new one! Period!

(...I just hope they reintroduce Molten Orange for the reintroduction...)

Kenneth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck Trend posted up some more spy shots of the new Raptor.

The person that got close to it noted that the shocks are a different color (possibly a manufacturer change from FOX) and also noted that the engine sounded a lot like the EcoBoost motor.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck Trend posted up some more spy shots of the new Raptor.

The person that got close to it noted that the shocks are a different color (possibly a manufacturer change from FOX) and also noted that the engine sounded a lot like the EcoBoost motor.

pics or it didn't happen.