2014 Rain Sensing Wipers on Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my wifes car has those stupid rain sensing wipers. i opened the door and turned the key on to start it and the wipers went. there was mist from the fog the night before. i ended up spending 10 minutes wiping the water off the door and changing my clothes because it got me all wet. they are annoying to me.

OP
OP
R

Raptor50

Reaction score
This topic has gotten a bit off track :)

I've had rain sensing wipers on my previous cars, all BMWs. With BMW you have to turn the rain sensing wipers on, they are not on by default for the exact reason above. or ex. going through a car wash, obviously you would not want them on.
each time the car is turned off, this resets to off

I was hoping this could be as straight forward as replacing the wiper arm on the steering wheel column, adding the sensor behind the windshield and maybe a small program change.

Are there any Ford techs that do this type of programming?
I'm used to BMW, where this type of stuff is possible, just need the right tech who understands the code. and generally its a matter of copying the code from another vehicle with that option.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rickoo,
I believe that the rain sensing wipers have a sensor attached to the inside of the windshield that detects change in the ambient current on the (outer) surface of the windshield when it gets wet. Kind of like the galvanic conduction of an EEG...
Eddie

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rickoo,
I believe that the rain sensing wipers have a sensor attached to the inside of the windshield that detects change in the ambient current on the (outer) surface of the windshield when it gets wet. Kind of like the galvanic conduction of an EEG...
Eddie

Galvanic conduction of an EEG? <what?>

Well, I could be wrong, but every vehicle I have owned with rain sensing wipers (5 or 6) has used an optical sensor separate from the windshield. That way, when you break your windshield, it's easier and cheaper to replace. Check out the Ford video and you'll see the guy spraying the sensor behind the mirror.

Just my experience.

btw, I hate rain sensing wipers and the first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is disconnect the sensor.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My last truck, a 2012 Platinum, had rain sensing wipers. When I picked up the truck I noticed a rock chip in the windscreen(Sound Screen) so it was replaced. The new windscreen had a spot in the blackened area for the rain sensor and the glass guy remarked that it was the most expensive windscreen for the F150. That said, I liked the rain sensing wipers and wish the Raptor had them.

GoMuscles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range has the high tech windshield and yes its a grip to replace but I'd give what was posted above a try as well. Seems like same functionality for a lot less. The high cost is also due to Range Rovers defrost system ... Its interlaced between the pains.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is the description of operation out of the service manual for a 2014 F150
Rain Sensitive Wipers (if equipped)

When equipped, the rain sensitive wiper feature replaces the intermittent wiper feature. The rain sensitive feature is active when the multifunction switch is in any of the 5 auto/intermittent sensitivity settings. The setting closest to OFF is the least sensitive to moisture, the highest setting being the most sensitive to moisture.

The rain sensor optically senses water on the windshield. An infrared beam of specific intensity lights a section of the windshield. The intensity of the reflected beam is measured and compared to the intensity of the transmitted beam. If there is water on the surface of the windshield, the beam distorts, reducing the intensity of the beam. If the beam is not reflected completely, it is interpreted as rain on the windshield and the windshield wipers are started.

The rain sensor sends data through the LIN to the windshield wiper motor. When the rain sensitive wiper feature is enabled, based on the data received from the rain sensor and the auto/intermittent setting on the multifunction switch, the system automatically activates and adjusts the wiper speed and frequency when moisture is detected on the windshield.

A gel-type lens is used as the interface between the rain sensor and the windshield. If the lens is missing or damaged, the rain sensing wipers can be inoperative. The rain sensor gel-type lens is part of the rain sensor and cannot be replaced separately on a rain sensor of this type.

The rain sensitive wiper feature can be enabled/disabled through the message center.

When the rain sensitive wipers are disabled from the message center, or the windshield wiper motor detects a fault with the rain sensor input, the windshield wiper motor changes to a default intermittent mode. The timing of the wipers correspond to a standard intermittent setting based on the auto/intermittent sensitivity setting on the multifunction switch.