2014 Build tips and advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went in to my nearest Ford Dealer today and after calling my sales rep earlier in the week to let him know I was coming in to Order today, I found out that in fact I could not order today, He told me I would need to come back on Monday because the Ford Rep would be available to place the order, but honestly I can't stop back until about wednesday to actually put the deposit down.

I sat down with them with cell phone in hand and told them I know exactly what I want as I already had it built on my phone, he's said well it will take up one of our allocations for next year... (do I care?) it seemed like they were ignoring my request at first, and I even walked out the door to leave once and they called me back in and said no no we can do the order now, I said okay I know the packages and colors I want, we sit down he starts writing on a piece of paper, and I read off my cell phone exactly the packages I wanted and colors he then says, oh okay our Ford rep won't be in until Monday so we can't finalize anything at least until then.... I'm thinking to myself wow is this exhausting and I know this process should not be this difficult.

So my main point of focus is trading in my car as it is all cash, so I said to him I want to know that you can at least give me 25k for my car, I can get about 35k in financing and that is what I'm comfortable doing through my own personal bank so I need to know that I can get 25k. He was like well the order will take about 4 to 5 months to get here so I won't be able to give you a price on your car until the truck arrives and in 5 months it will be lower in price so I can't say at this point what we can give you for your car.... I know that 25k is being generous on my car and I know that they can turn around and sell it, it's got 45k miles on it and is fully loaded and is in excellent condition. they honestly seemed like they had no idea what they were doing and I'm sitting there asking myself do these guys want to make a sale because honestly your doing everything possible to make me go somewhere else.

I've never built a vehicle before it has always been available to purchase, what are some things to be aware of and I should be looking out for when building? They said 1000.00 dollar deposit to place the order, should I sell them my car on wednesday if they say they can give me 25k? I won't have a car for 4 months which sucks but is that the only way this will work is if I sell my car now? I just need to know things to look out for, I know for a fact they won't be detailing it, I've learned that the hard way.

Thanks for the help guys!

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am paying invoice for my order and am not giving the dealer a chance to screw me on my trade in. I am keeping mine, which obviously isn't an option for you as you have stated.

You haven't said what car, is there a good market for it? Do you think you could sell it on your own?

If you could get 25 from a dealer they'll try to get 28 for it. Have you thought about selling it yourself for 25?

If they'll give it to you now and you can go 4 months without a vehicle, by all means make it work to get what you want. You aren't paying sticker for the truck are you?

Have you seen the invoice pricing thread on here?
60 is a lot unless its loaded to the gills

D

Deleted member 12951

If it was me, I would walk away from this dealer and don't even think of giving them a deposit. You never mentioned what kind of deal you are getting on the Raptor?

I did my deal all over the phone and emails. I used the closest dealer that I found in the thread of dealers selling near invoice. It was very simple, I told them exactly what I wanted and gave it to me with $50 over invoice, plus some other crap fees making it really $449 over invoice. Good with that as all other dealers close to me won't go under MSRP.

I ran into exactly the same situation on my trade as you. They told me they really couldn't give me a firm trade-in price 4-6 months in advance. My deal is a cash deal with my trade being optional. I told them to give me a firm price within 30 days of delivery otherwise they can lose out on my trade and I will sell it privately.

Will see what happens but I am not too worried about it as I already know dealers always turn into big ***** sooner or later especially when trading. Just don't need to get worked up about it now. I've bought 10 new vehicles so far so I know how the game is played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is what I did. Used the thread on here and got invoice through my dealer. At invoice he told me what he still makes off of me and also proved to me he could sell the truck to another dealer at $2500 over invoice if he wanted to.(I went to school with him)

It was a quick enough deal for the amount of money he made.

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so all I know about pricing is what I am seeing through Ford's website. I'm going for Tux Black, 801A, hood graphics, SE, Moonroof, front/rear camera, bed extender and bed liner, on the Ford website it comes to 58k, I'm fine with paying that price as I should be able to get 25k for trade and 35k in financing at 1.49% is okay with me. I have a 2009 G37x fully loaded. I have factory extended warranty that is unused so that is about 1500 that should be given to me on top of my trade also, which is another reason for trading it in opposed to selling privately. Although I can try to sell it privately, actually would prefer to sell it privately and I do have it listed privately but there hasn't been interest in it. I have a bunch of parts for it for projects that I never got to so I would love to give it all to someone who wants to put the time into it, but it just doesn't look like it will happen that way.

I'm considering calling the other Ford dealers in my area and letting know over the phone what I plan to do. I'm in Raleigh, NC and each Ford dealer has seemed to give me some kind of spiel on the allocation conversation or about locating me a Raptor. Can I call ford headquarters and price everything over the phone and just have them choose a dealer to ship it to?

D

Deleted member 12951

Why do you think your car is worth $25k? I don't know exactly what you have on the G37x except fully loaded but I went to KBB and checked about every option and it was only showing about $19k. I have also found that KBB or most of those sites is nothing what a dealer will really give you, it's always less unless there is a lot of money to make on the other end of the deal.

locktech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to lock in a trade value is to do a pre-trade which is what I did. 4-5 months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait. My suggestion is to go somewhere else. Use the invoice thread information so you know exactly how much they are making. Be the one in charge of the conversation. Make them feel they need to earn your business and let them know your shopping around!

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think your car is worth $25k? I don't know exactly what you have on the G37x except fully loaded but I went to KBB and checked about every option and it was only showing about $19k. I have also found that KBB or most of those sites is nothing what a dealer will really give you, it's always less unless there is a lot of money to make on the other end of the deal.

I have been to three dealerships already and they were offering me 24k for my car, however, it was for like 2013 Raptors or used Raptors and I'm like well that's not what I want I'd rather build but they couldn't build them. I'm pushing for 25k because I know they won't give it to me so I'm at least hoping they say well we can do 22k and then with the extended warranty that is at least another 1000-1200 on top of that price towards the truck, but I'm not going to walk in there and be like oh I know kbb says my car is worth 20k, because then I will never get more than 18k. I don't know I think I could try those dealerships again and see if there is an outside chance they can build but I doubt it. Also I know that if they trade my car they are going to list it on their lot and sell it for 28k because it's either 26k or 27k that's the dealers suggested list price, and honestly if they want to make a sale they will give me at least that price, because if they don't I'm not buying and if I have to do pre-trade then that's what I'll have to do.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

btw, where are these invoice threads? are they in the 2014 svt sub-forum or the prospective buyer sub-forum?

D

Deleted member 12951

Ok fair enough, I don't know the market for your car. It does sound that $25k would be in the high side of the trade considering they would sell it at $26-28k. So with the high trade, I can see them not coming off the Raptor much. It sounds like you are fine paying full MSRP and only concerned that what ever the deal, you walk away with a $35k loan. I don't see why a dealer wouldn't do that.

Why don't you contact the dealer a couple hours north of you in Virginia that is on the list of dealers selling near invoice. They might have a better chance getting you a Raptor than your local dealers.

I've never heard of ordering directly from Ford and deliver it to a dealer so I don't think you will have luck going that route. I have spoken to Ford marketing in the past and they did a USA wide search for a truck in dealer inventory for me. I tried doing that through the dealer and was getting no where. At the time, Ford marketing found only 4 trucks that met my criteria. I then contacted a local dealer to see if they could get it which they did. Guess you could try that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at, I just want to be at about 35k in a loan.

I was actually thinking of ordering from Virginia or SC if I really can't find what I am looking for with the dealerships in NC. I think there are some dealerships open tomorrow I might give a call to, to see what they say.

What is the factory tonneau cover and E-Zero Rock On? you have them on your signature for your 2014 order. Is the factory tonneau cover through your dealership accessories?