2013 Raptor Rear shock mount Failure (fox 3.0)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

The OP is only using one plastic tie strap, there is no way that is going to work. He just needs to add a few more and he should be just fine.

McDowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of everything I have seen go wrong before I jump my raptor or do any hardcore off-roading I will be installing some mounts and supports for my shocks and maybe some other stuff I feel like stiffening up

Sent from my iPhone

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been contemplating the issue some more...
The OP's mounts were only partially welded (the lower two third)
The normal F-150 is not likely to see full shock extension during jumps and the main loading is only from the resistance of the chock.
The Raptor during jumping will see full shock extension; and that with force!
So the damage is done with the chock hitting the full extension stop.
The partially welded bracket will fatigue the cross member and rip out.
The CTS bracket will absorb the shock load from the full extension stop, welded or bolted.
The need for the CTS bracket is diminished with the fully welded OEM bracket, but still a good idea.
JMTCW

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been contemplating the issue some more...
The OP's mounts were only partially welded (the lower two third)
The normal F-150 is not likely to see full shock extension during jumps and the main loading is only from the resistance of the chock.
The Raptor during jumping will see full shock extension; and that with force!
So the damage is done with the chock hitting the full extension stop.
The partially welded bracket will fatigue the cross member and rip out.
The CTS bracket will absorb the shock load from the full extension stop, welded or bolted.
The need for the CTS bracket is diminished with the fully welded OEM bracket, but still a good idea.
JMTCW

This has been my fear since I first put on my 3.0s and noticed that the shock mounts right where the OP's sheared off are only welded on the outside of the bracket. Where I presume it is easier to weld. I recently bought a welder and welded a little bit of the inside bracket, but after seeing this I might have to pull the shock back off so I can get to the inside a bit more. Is any one else's mounts not welded on the inside of the brackets.

OP
OP
M

Milowilli

Reaction score
We found out that the Fox 3.0 shock froze solid and fractured the mount. Wasn't the frames fault!! Lol

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that your transfer case also ?
Did fail the same time as the shock?
If so, .... What were you ****?

6.2 - Power To Do More

OP
OP
M

Milowilli

Reaction score
Was that your transfer case also ?
Did fail the same time as the shock?
If so, .... What were you ****?

6.2 - Power To Do More
Transfer case was from first gen raptor with smaller engine. Possible fatigue from severe off road use in muddy conditions. Case failed during muddy hill cilmb in jungle. We also had lots of failures of injector harness wires which caused misfiring of injectors.