2013 Raptor clunk when using remote start and grinding sound coming from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the A/C clutch engaging. If its only during the remote start cycle, the Hvac system kicks on the a/c to defrost the windshield.

OP
OP
G

Grinch

Reaction score
Bro, we want to help, we are Raptor enthusiasts, I mean there are some trolls on here, but 99% of us want to see owners enjoy their Raptors and get them in the right direction. You will need a socket and a prybar (long ratchet) to move the adjuster pulley and then the belt will slip off easy, same as putting it back on, maybe have a friend help you or it wouldn't cost much to take it to a local shop and have them give you a quote, some might do it for free! (maybe not).

Here's a little write up on what you might be experiencing :
I really appreciate it man. I’ll definitely check into the belt and idlers. I got home and was able to catch the harsh start up I was talking about earlier. Not sure if everyone’s does this if it sits for a little bit or not…

Attachments

• IMG_4288.MOV
    11.6 MB

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really appreciate it man. I’ll definitely check into the belt and idlers. I got home and was able to catch the harsh start up I was talking about earlier. Not sure if everyone’s does this if it sits for a little bit or not…
Your video didn’t sound like mine, but I recently replaced the tensioner and idlers on mine. I have like 57,000 and some change on it, though it lives an interesting life of sitting, long highway stretches and then a few hours at about 4,000 rpm lol.

I just pulled the belt and spun the pulleys and it was easy to figure out which one was the problem child. I replaced both idlers and the tensioner. Motorcraft tensioner had a nylon pulley, I went with Litens (I think that is the brand) and they are supposedly the supplier for motorcraft and had a steel pulley.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, that last video doesn't sound bad to me.
I switch up to 5W 30 weight almost two years ago
and it does help with the valves tapping a few seconds at startup.
Your video didn’t sound like mine, but I recently replaced the tensioner and idlers on mine. I have like 57,000 and some change on it, though it lives an interesting life of sitting, long highway stretches and then a few hours at about 4,000 rpm lol.

I just pulled the belt and spun the pulleys and it was easy to figure out which one was the problem child. I replaced both idlers and the tensioner. Motorcraft tensioner had a nylon pulley, I went with Litens (I think that is the brand) and they are supposedly the supplier for motorcraft and had a steel pulley.
I like the Nylon/Teflon pulley better than the steel one, the Nylon/Teflon is gentler on the belt.
Especially when Supercharged.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, that last video doesn't sound bad to me.
I switch up to 5W 30 weight almost two years ago
and it does help with the valves tapping a few seconds at startup.

I like the Nylon/Teflon pulley better than the steel one, the Nylon/Teflon is gentler on the belt.
Especially when Supercharged.
Well poop, I paid more for the steel
One too, lol.

I ordered it in a pinch and tried to match the existing one.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with MTF
Sounds normal to me from the last video you posted

Loud lifter noise on cold start is what plenty of 6.2s do
Mine doesn’t make that lifter noise, but if you guys think that’s normal, I’m just glad mine doesn’t do it and mine will sit for a few days even outside on a cold day is quiet.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t make that lifter noise, but if you guys think that’s normal, I’m just glad mine doesn’t do it and mine will sit for a few days even outside on a cold day is quiet.
Mine will do that on occasion and has been doing it forever. I thought it was something about a hydraulic lifter valve train adjustment doohickey and if I remember correctly from 9 or so years ago when I first started hearing it was considered normal even though sometimes you are like WTH is that? Always goes away within a few seconds. I feel like when I do hear it, it’s more towards the back end of when my oil change is due, but I don’t know.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My understanding with the valvetrain ticking noise the first few seconds at startup is:
The cam phasers need oil pressure to unlock the pins and start operating, it's that simple!!!