2013 Raptor clunk when using remote start and grinding sound coming from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grinch

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought a 2013 Raptor with 98k miles on it. I’ve been hearing this “clunk” whenever using remote start about 5 seconds after it’s running. Sometimes it’s a lot louder and violent than other times. I also noticed a grinding noise coming from the front area of my engine bay whenever I have shifted from drive back into park and am sitting still. It’ll make this grinding sound for about a minute and then disappear only to start back up again if I put it in drive, move forward, and then put it back in park. I have a video of the sound but not the “clunk” I can try and get it recorded later on. Any help/advice would be appreciated. It’s been worrying the crap out of me as I am really hoping this truck lasts a lot longer for me.
View attachment IMG_4286.MOV
View attachment IMG_4286.MOV

Last edited:

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally remember this exact same thing on my super duty. It was on the forums but quite honestly I traded the truck before getting it fixed. I believe the general consensus, based on input form ford is, like all ford issues.

Ready for it?

”It’s normal. They all do that”.

Unless the car is killing people due to ford defects, they really have no desire to fix issues. Even if it is, they will fight tooth and nail.

OP
OP
G

Grinch

Reaction score
I totally remember this exact same thing on my super duty. It was on the forums but quite honestly I traded the truck before getting it fixed. I believe the general consensus, based on input form ford is, like all ford issues.

Ready for it?

Unless the car is killing people due to ford defects, they really have no desire to fix issues. Even if it is, they will fight tooth and nail.

Even the ongoing grinding noise coming from the front end like the video?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's not normal at all.. Hard to make out in the video, but is the starter hanging up? Could always pull the belt off and start it up and see if the noise is still coming from the front or if its the rear of the engine.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ready for it?

You keep stating that, but I find the opposite to be true. The volume of service bulletins with revised parts and calibrations that are released on a daily basis contradicts that. There was even a recent one where they redesigned a fuel tank because the “sloshing noise” at part tank with the radio off was deemed “excessive”. Of course, none of that helps if your dealer is incompetent and does not run OASIS to see said service messages.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the climate control set to auto?
I ask because it usually makes the air conditioner compressor run right at startup.
Try starting the truck with the climate control off and see if it makes the noise.

OP
OP
G

Grinch

Reaction score
Is the climate control set to auto?
I ask because it usually makes the air conditioner compressor run right at startup.
Try starting the truck with the climate control off and see if it makes the noise.
I did turn off the auto climate control. The initial “clunk” seems to have gone away. Although the sound in the video persists. It also seems as though upon start up if sitting for a day or so the motor rattles/ticks for a couple seconds now. Also hearing a faint knock if standing near the passenger side wheel fender (not sure if that part is normal since the 6.2 seems to be a fairly noisy drivetrain when idling). The noise in the video I posted early is a lot quieter now coming from the truck, which is baffling me as I can’t seem to find out the issues popping up/persisting

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did turn off the auto climate control. The initial “clunk” seems to have gone away. Although the sound in the video persists. It also seems as though upon start up if sitting for a day or so the motor rattles/ticks for a couple seconds now. Also hearing a faint knock if standing near the passenger side wheel fender (not sure if that part is normal since the 6.2 seems to be a fairly noisy drivetrain when idling). The noise in the video I posted early is a lot quieter now coming from the truck, which is baffling me as I can’t seem to find out the issues popping up/persisting
The 6.2 does not have a rattling valvetrain unless there is something wrong, mine is still quiet at over 150k. Unless you have your hearing aide turned up really loud, lol. I would still pop the belt off and do that test.

OP
OP
G

Grinch

Reaction score
The 6.2 does not have a rattling valvetrain unless there is something wrong, mine is still quiet at over 150k. Unless you have your hearing aide turned up really loud, lol. I would still pop the belt off and do that test.
Yeah lol, I’ll have to take the belt off and see. Working on cars isn’t my strong suit, so I hope it’s fairly easy to take off and put on. As for the harsh start up, it does sit for a couple days here and there throughout the week as it is not my daily driver. I can post a sound of the harsh start so you can see what I’m talking about. (I’m not trying to force you guys to figure out all my problems so I apologize if it seems so, I just really want to make sure there isn’t anything detrimental wrong with it. So I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions!)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah lol, I’ll have to take the belt off and see. Working on cars isn’t my strong suit, so I hope it’s fairly easy to take off and put on. As for the harsh start up, it does sit for a couple days here and there throughout the week as it is not my daily driver. I can post a sound of the harsh start so you can see what I’m talking about. (I’m not trying to force you guys to figure out all my problems so I apologize if it seems so, I just really want to make sure there isn’t anything detrimental wrong with it. So I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions!)
Bro, we want to help, we are Raptor enthusiasts, I mean there are some trolls on here, but 99% of us want to see owners enjoy their Raptors and get them in the right direction. You will need a socket and a prybar (long ratchet) to move the adjuster pulley and then the belt will slip off easy, same as putting it back on, maybe have a friend help you or it wouldn't cost much to take it to a local shop and have them give you a quote, some might do it for free! (maybe not).

Here's a little write up on what you might be experiencing :