IWE - Grinding When Engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elav

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2011 Raptor that wasn't put into 4wd a lot over the past 10'ish years. I seem to have the opposite issue than most. The 2wd works perfectly all the time. I get a grinding sound and the wrench shows up when I try to engage it into 4wd. The grinding sound is coming from the front passenger side I believe. It also takes a bit of time to get it out of 4wd after I try and engage it. What sensors are in the system that the wrench would show up? I'm thinking that I should start with testing the solenoid - as if the solenoid isn't fully working, it would allow a partial vacuum to still exist. Only other thing I can think of is the grease in the IWE actuator is sticking and keeping it from fully moving either way. Any thoughts?

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was having issues when I got it.
The shift actuator motor on the transfer case wasn't doing what it was supposed to.
I tried to shift, shift, shift it and hoped it would free up.
It didn't.
Got a little scare when I bought a cheap china Amazon unit and still didn't fix the problem(s).
A better quality part fixed it.
I didn't have the grinding at all.
Wrench did light up.
It was a easy job.
Worst part of the whole thing was unthreading a wire from the weather pack connection and rethreading into the new.
Other than that, a couple mounting bolts and all better.
Good luck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The IWE solenoid is controlled by the TCCM, but should not set a wrench light in the event of a fault/DTC.

However, an issue with the transfer case shift motor will set the wrench. If you have ForScan, start by retrieving DTCs.

OP
OP
E

elav

Reaction score
FordTechOne - thank you for suggesting ForScan. I'm a Mac user but completely forgot I bought the OBD-II plug for this. I dusted off an OLD Windows laptop, had to manually load the USB driver, but got it working. You were 100% correct - P1867 - transfer case contact plate general circuit failure was the past failure. I seem to recall that you can remove the plate with the circuit and spin it - with the idea being that by spinning it, you can clean the contacts. Am I remembering this correctly? Does this work or am I better off simply replacing the transfer case shift motor?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne - thank you for suggesting ForScan. I'm a Mac user but completely forgot I bought the OBD-II plug for this. I dusted off an OLD Windows laptop, had to manually load the USB driver, but got it working. You were 100% correct - P1867 - transfer case contact plate general circuit failure was the past failure. I seem to recall that you can remove the plate with the circuit and spin it - with the idea being that by spinning it, you can clean the contacts. Am I remembering this correctly? Does this work or am I better off simply replacing the transfer case shift motor?
In my opinion once the t-case shift Motor contacts are worn it’s better to just replace it. Ideally get a Motorcraft unit, the majority of aftermarket ones last a year or two at best.

OP
OP
E

elav

Reaction score
Ordered! I plan on keeping this truck (although $0.50/mile at current gas prices makes it sit more than it should). Thanks for the help! Now if the local SnugTop dealer can get the replacement rod part - I'll be all set (I ordered it 6 months ago).

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered! I plan on keeping this truck (although $0.50/mile at current gas prices makes it sit more than it should). Thanks for the help! Now if the local SnugTop dealer can get the replacement rod part - I'll be all set (I ordered it 6 months ago).
Congratulations on getting it properly diagnosed (thanks to @FordTechOne of course) But I’m more interested in your impressive claim of $0.50/mile! I’m averaging a $0.31 cost per mile. ;)

OP
OP
E

elav

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting it properly diagnosed (thanks to @FordTechOne of course) But I’m more interested in your impressive claim of $0.50/mile! I’m averaging a $0.31 cost per mile. ;)
I live in the Bay Area (California) - gas is $6.50 or higher here. I'm averaging 12.2 mpg (mostly city driving). BTW, I spoke too soon - I can't find the transfer case shift motor in stock on any of the places I order from and the local dealer wants $350 - which I prefer not to pay...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in the Bay Area (California) - gas is $6.50 or higher here. I'm averaging 12.2 mpg (mostly city driving). BTW, I spoke too soon - I can't find the transfer case shift motor in stock on any of the places I order from and the local dealer wants $350 - which I prefer not to pay...
Don't be afraid to ask the local ford dealer for a better price. Be polite and explain how you would preffer to support a local business rather than the internet. I have had good results with this approach.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel ya. I tell myself I will keep driving my Raptor even though I’m paying out the nose. As long as I have beer and gas money I feel I will be alright. Not sure where that breaking point is.