2013 Driver door latch issue!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha yeah..our worker felt so sick but I the first thing I said when I saw it was "Richard, what'd you do?"

LOL, that's what I thought of when I saw the pic. Love that movie.

Tommy Boy What'd you DO?! - YouTube

Both my front doors are doing it now, drivers side after the first desert trip, passenger after this past weekend's trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr_Pain

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they being truthful or just feeding me a line of bull. I just talked to the Service Manager and he tells me that they will need to keep my truck to diagnose the problem. He said he needs to get the door latch to act so they can get a code. Do they actually get codes off of mechanical parts?

My problem is intermittent but happens often enough that it is a PAIN IN THE BEHIND! I captured the event on video and showed it to the service guy. He acknowledge the issue but.... :mad3:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no diagnostic code for a door latch. what is that guy thinking? the door ajar light is going to tell him whats wrong with the latch?

OP
OP
Dr_Pain

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no diagnostic code for a door latch. what is that guy thinking? the door ajar light is going to tell him whats wrong with the latch?

My thoughts exactly! and I would venture a guess that no codes will come from actuators etc..

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its funny how people rely solely on computers........ how can you be a tech and not realize that this wont give you a code? even then, if it happened in the past, the vehicles computer would have stored it until it got cleared/fixed. its the same with some audio installers too. people who claim to do installs, always checking out the internet because they cant disassemble a vehicle...... drives me crazy

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GET THEM TO CHECK ALIGNMENT. WITHOUT RELYING on computer. My dealer kept checking computer for other shops issue till finally the third time they went ahead and checked the alignment on my passenger side. Taken to my dealer 3 times. The second time they swapped out the door mechanism too with the same probs. Computers these days I swear, Too much instant gratification and worry of overhead costs. I had to come out my pocket for gas which for some reason ppl think isn't a big deal. Figuring out dealers don't do gas fill-ups anymore was icing on the cake so atleast they got it fixed the 3rd time around.

OP
OP
Dr_Pain

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back after a weekend in the shop. They told me that they could not reproduce the issue but that based on the 3 video I presented (got to love the iPhone), they contacted Ford who agreed to replace the latch.

I did make sure to discuss the material found on this thread (alignment, linkage, actuator) and they told me that did all plus some. So far so good.

Will keep you updated. I still have the captured video of the "issue" if that can help someone. Let me know and I will see about posting it

Devilsfan72

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back after a weekend in the shop. They told me that they could not reproduce the issue but that based on the 3 video I presented (got to love the iPhone), they contacted Ford who agreed to replace the latch.

I did make sure to discuss the material found on this thread (alignment, linkage, actuator) and they told me that did all plus some. So far so good.

Will keep you updated. I still have the captured video of the "issue" if that can help someone. Let me know and I will see about posting it

By chance did you ever try and use the key or was this just with the remote? I tried using my key and it felt like it was jammed when turning. I took it to the dealership and they were actually able to confirm the issue and also ordered a latch. They are not sure when the latch will be in.

OP
OP
Dr_Pain

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance did you ever try and use the key or was this just with the remote? I tried using my key and it felt like it was jammed when turning. I took it to the dealership and they were actually able to confirm the issue and also ordered a latch. They are not sure when the latch will be in.

I used the remote, the key and the keypad and all gave me the same issue. I can report that since they changed the latch and tweaked the actuator that the handle feels much more "responsive" and you can HEAR a convincing thump from the actuator when you use the remote or the keypad.

Based on the fact that I was having issues with all three methods and that it was intermittent in nature, I speculated that it was more likely a linkage/latch issue but regardless of what it was, they opened the door, disassembled lubed and tweaked and replaced the latch, and all is well in the world (so far)!!