2011 screw, battery died, now have a kicking inside the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
Ok so I only just bought the truck 4 days ago and the battery needed to be replaced, in fact it died today at my house.
So I went out, took the battery out, got a new one, installed it, truck starts right up, but now I have a clacking or knocking coming from the center console dash and won’t stop.

did a little research, and people say it’s the blend door actuator?

if I put my hand on the passenger side of the center upper dash you can feel the clacking. It doesn’t stop unless I remove the #46 10amp fuse.

anyone have the same issue? Anyone have the part number I need to change this? Or the best YouTube vid for the how to?

OP
OP
T3amfish

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, when you start the truck, air comes out of the regular vents on the dash, then after 3 -5 seconds, it moves from that to only coming out of the upper dash defrost vent on the windshield. You can’t turn it to come out of any other vent, I can turn the AC off but the clacking won’t stop

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet when battery died the blend door actuator needs to be reset.
However, if it’s clicking a bunch probably needs a new one.
Mine went out at 11,000 miles on my GenI.
See if you can find a way to reset the actuator perhaps by disconnecting the battery. The dealer can reset them with their software. Play around with the AC functions to see if you can limit the clicking to get you by. Replacement is in your future....

OP
OP
T3amfish

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
I Tried to reset it, what I did was

ignition off, pulled the #46 fuse.

waited 1-2 min, turned the ignition to the on position and waited 1-2min

turned ignition off, replaced the fuse

turned ignition back to on.

Made no difference, constant clacking and won’t change no matter what setting I put the air on.

OP
OP
T3amfish

T3amfish

Your mom goes to college
Reaction score
Update, was fixed by me.

it was the dreaded lower actuator. I pulled the center console, shifter, removed the seats, pulled the carpet back, took out the lower air box, and got that damn actuator changed.

Took 10hrs start to finish. Ford engineers have their heads clearly up their ass on this design